Lets talk lawn mowers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are going down memory lane, don't forget the old round-headed Villiers 2-strokes from the 1930s! Our lawnmower had one "when I were a lad" and it had a super kick start, which it needed because when the engine was hot it was a son-of-an-unmarried-mother to start.
Anyone know why kickstarters disappeared? When wife and I got first proper garden in the 1960s, we were lucky enough to find an Atco with the sloping head 2-stroke engine which had a kickstart that she could use happily. Once we got a bigger rotary with pull cord, she just could not start it. Or that was what she claimed.
Villiers made a fantastic bigger 4-stroke engine, the 25 if I remember right. Pulled like a train and pretty much unkillable.
Happy times!

I'd bet kickstarters disappeared because of the cost to make vs cheap rope start.

Or maybe someone sued and said they were discriminatory against people with one leg. :)

OK, as for batteries........
I repaired so many ride-on's in France it drove me nuts.....
the owners got the option of buying a new standard battery at roughly €50's or have the machine modified to fit a small car batt.....
say from a Clio or Polo.....10euro's more for a battery that was at least 3 times the size amp/hrs and would last at least 3-4 years.....
most opted for the mod......for some, the batt was fitted in front of the seat (between ur knee's) and fitted with longer batt leads.....all done prop with trays, clamps and covers.......

As for Briggs n Stratton.....they are now under Chinese ownership and quality will prob improve.....hahaha....

Strangeley few of the big Honda V twins had problems in mowers.....diff or no spares available in the UK.... a new engine was available in the US at £2500 plus taxes and deliv.....I fitted the prof quality Briggs n Stratton engines...nothing else was available on the UK market.....all were in the 18hp size, full oil pressure systems, ballanced cranks, obviously elec start..... etc etc....
these engine were designed to run 8 hrs a day in water pumps and generators...never had one fail but they were £1500 each...complete with f/tanks and double charging systems (needed for the electric clutches on mowers) etc etc......

As for the Chinese copy Hondas, they are great for the price......but don't expect them to last as long.....
I have one fitted to a high capacity pressure washer......almost used everyday for over 10 years and still starts first time and no oil used to speak of.....used for power washing tractors.....at least a couple of hours per use....or until clean....

All my engines get Synthetic engine oil, changed at least every season or when it looks dirty........
Before I bought my Toro timecutter ride on mower I had a a Stiga with a flat twin side vale (bit like a Beemer m/cycle)......it just went on and on....heavy on fuel tho.....
sold it on to somebody else and its still going ....probably 30 plus years old now......

I guess luck comes into it.....

Back