Lets talk about Jeans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up with Levis, and didn't wear anything else for years until they became both expensive and of much lower quality.

Now I wear Wranglers which I get sent over from Amazon US. For work they do a heavier version called Wrangler Riggs ( Wrangler Riggs Workwear Men's Carpenter Jean, Vintage Indigo, 40W x 34L at Amazon Men’s Clothing store ) in several different styles.

They are very, very comfortable and seem to wear very well.

Agreed re Wranglers. I also get them from the US, as they do them in a 38 leg. Excellent quality.

It’s been a while since I’ve talked about jeans but I’ve been a fan for like forever. This is a big subject but let me highlight a few main areas.

weight

yes believe it or not in the denim world we consider the weight of the yarn. The most popular is 14 to 18 ounces however the weight may not feel the same in different brands - massive subject as it goes into the “weft” the way the denim was made right through to where it is from I.e physical growth location. All that said you should aim as above 14 to 18 ounces.

selvage

Another big subject and if you google it you will find a bizzilion detailed explanations but essentially it is a hem that stops the yarn getting unraveled. It does serve other purposes but that’s the main one. IMO always go selvage.

fit/shrinkage

self explanatory, low rise, yolk type etc however expect all decent denim to shrink by about 1 or 2 percent if it’s washed once or what we call sanforized. IMO don’t ever go for unsanforized as it will demand a lot of taking care of

and finally colour/indigo/fade

proper colour in denim comes from natural indigo which you will pay more for. Why? Well the main reason is the fade. This is one of the main reasons why denim people like me get high quality denim simple because over time it will become personalised to you. Example, I put my wallet in my rightfront pocket. Surely enough that’s where the fade of my denim occurred. Same with me knee area the fade takes the shape of my knees etc. Suffice to say a good pair of denim will conform to you and to you only and will be personal to you. Some say the only other material that does this is leather.

brands

I recommend Edwin, iron heart, pure blue Japan, hair. There are so many but be prepared to pay around 200 pounds as this is considered to be the entry point for proper denim.

wow that was a lot but I hope it was helpful. DM me if you need more detail

I bought three pairs of wrangler riggs after reading this thread.

Disappointed with the quality of them to be honest. All three pairs one of the pockets ripped off and I had to sew it back on. within a matter of weeks.

Two pairs I have worn the knees out of and the third is about to go. They haven't lasted more than 18 months.

Strange - I've been wearing 2 pairs alternately for 5 years with absolutely no issues. I'm not a construction pro, but they do get hammered around the house and garden. Maybe quality has dropped off recently.

Jeans seem to be what a lot of much older men wear these days trying to re-live their youth, they still just look like old men in jeans.

What is very funny is all these women walking around in the remains of a pair of jeans that has come under fierce attack from a pack of rats, rather than constraining the contents various parts bulge out and the stringy parts look like cheese wires.

I bought a pair of wrangler riggs carpenter Jeans from the states, they are very stiff and the stiff waist band chafs my stomach rather badly as it hangs over it somewhat. They've been washed a couple of times but show no signs of softening. The most comfortable jeans for me for daily DIY, gardening and woodworking are from Sainsburys Tu https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk...ers:newArrivals:department:Men&searchProduct=
They are pretty hard wearing, don't need running in and last me a year or two (allowing for shorts in summer).

like everyone, got fed up with the qual of Levis, won't mention the stupid prices.....
my jeans dont last long at all.....weld splatter and getting snagged on bit's of steel....finishes them off pretty quick.....
started to buy cheapo's from Tesco...they were a fiver a pair.....gotta say they last well.....

Now here it's to hot for jeans 9-10 months of the year.....so shorts are the go too garment......
my wife found an animal charity shop where all garments are just 1euro.....
thats my go to store now......have some pretty good fashion brands that get hammered....
some I wouldn't be seen in the street with but at euro who cares....
the skin on my legs is a little scarred now with all the rips n catches plus I wont mention weld splatter BUT u do get used to it.....hahaha....
when I get round to opening my crates theres a 1/2 leather cow skin to make a full length welder's leather apron ...
plus once the floor is done I can get back to wearing clogs again....cool in summer n warm in winter...oh, the luxury of clogs....
shall we ask what foot wear u have.....
for heavy jobs I have the proper safety boots, Cat's.....all other work I buy Clarks proper leather walking shoes when on sale....rotate two pairs daily.....they get changed at lunchtime for a fresh cool pair...good tip, only buy shoes with a leather inside lining....
I keep one pair of soft almost worn out shoes for roof work or climbing....
PS, havent owned a pair of plimpsoles (remember them)/trainers for longer than I can remember....I'm on my feet all day, from 7am till around 9pm....keep saying I must get a pedometer, but I'm told ur iPhone can do the job but they are to heavy in ur pocket.....

I'm 61 and must admit I wear shorts every day. If it is really cold I'll put on a cheap pair of M&S jeans or fleece things to work in. I still wear my 32" waist 501's, some a few years old and some must be 15/20 years old, but if I'm told to put trousers on as we are going out.

Colin

Don Williams sang.

I got my first guitar when I was 14
Now I'm crowding 30 and still wearing jeans

Well I'm way way past that and still wearing Jeans.

Levi 501s have been my work and casual wear for about as long as I remember. BUT like so many things they are not what they used to be.

I remember way back when you bought a pair of jeans, they were so hard and uncomfortable they had to be worn for weeks and washed at least once before you could look forward to wearing them.

Nowadays they are comfortable right out of the packet, but are worn out in no time.

Anyone got a recommendation for reasonably comfortable hard wearing work jeans.
If you can still get them I'd suggest LEE.

Don Williams sang.

I got my first guitar when I was 14
Now I'm crowding 30 and still wearing jeans

Well I'm way way past that and still wearing Jeans.

Levi 501s have been my work and casual wear for about as long as I remember. BUT like so many things they are not what they used to be.

I remember way back when you bought a pair of jeans, they were so hard and uncomfortable they had to be worn for weeks and washed at least once before you could look forward to wearing them.

Nowadays they are comfortable right out of the packet, but are worn out in no time.

Anyone got a recommendation for reasonably comfortable hard wearing work jeans.
If you keep up with the latest fashion trends, youngsters of my sons age, 22 are all going bananas about wearing Dickies workwear as trendy gear. My Dickies boiler suit, navy blue, brass zips, lots of pockets, worn out knees and splattered is now seen a fashion ikon by youngsters. Dickies polyester work trousers, T shirts with the brand logo are now top fashion by this age group. If you go to their website is it difficult to find sensible workwear, only new fashion items. Also buying Levi 501 from USA in heavy denim, cost £50 not over £100 as in the UK and not washing them seems to be a thing. However my son washed his recently after about 8 months from new, and not seen him wearing them since Dickies has become the thing now......

Jeans seem to be what a lot of much older men wear these days trying to re-live their youth, they still just look like old men in jeans.

What is very funny is all these women walking around in the remains of a pair of jeans that has come under fierce attack from a pack of rats, rather than constraining the contents various parts bulge out and the stringy parts look like cheese wires.
So what do you wear Spectric mole skin trousers

Dickies trousers with knee pads for work - last forever.
Jeans from charity shops. All the best brands turn up eventually for fiver or so. Sometimes hardly worn.

Fashion is the biggist con to get a brand /style elevated to an expensive must have , I go with whats comfortable and apt for the pursuit im doing, down here there s no apparent trend in fashion only with holliday makers and they stand out a mile in their brand new clothes . Wear clothes for you not for other people only exception WIFE . Now wheres my jacket with the velvet collar and me cravat 😂😂😂

Back