Lets see your wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've used up all my dry spalted silver birch and need to go out and harvest some more, here's my little stockpile
20220118_105023.jpg
20220118_105005.jpg

This lot was cut and stacked here almost 3 years ago now and is where all my spalted birch has come from, just need to bring it in and let it dry for a month or two, I've also got a huge pile of oak ranging from branch limbs to trunk sections that are almost 3feet across and a few bits of sycamore that were cut down around the same time.

I have used spalted timber before but it was bought in as spalted. There must be a point if stored outside that the wood goes from spalted and lovely to work with to, mush only fit for the fire. Stig roughly how long does it take for the spalting to happen and how long is to long .:)

I have used spalted timber before but it was bought in as spalted. There must be a point if stored outside that the wood goes from spalted and lovely to work with to, mush only fit for the fire. Stig roughly how long does it take for the spalting to happen and how long is to long .:)
Not sure exactly how long it takes to form, I had some stuff that was outside about 6 months then inside drying for 2 years and it was beautifully spalted, I would say the stuff I have is approaching the end of being usable but will have some amazing patterning, it's fairly soft but I've recently discovered that using wood hardener and a super sharp gouge really helps, I also don't remove the tailstock until absolutely necessary. I've not started on the oak I have yet so not sure what condition any of that's in but plan to find out soon.
@Adam W. That's a lovely pile of sticks 😍 what species is it?

Not sure exactly how long it takes to form, I had some stuff that was outside about 6 months then inside drying for 2 years and it was beautifully spalted, I would say the stuff I have is approaching the end of being usable but will have some amazing patterning, it's fairly soft but I've recently discovered that using wood hardener and a super sharp gouge really helps, I also don't remove the tailstock until absolutely necessary. I've not started on the oak I have yet so not sure what condition any of that's in but plan to find out soon.
Which wood hardener do you use?

It's that Baltic oak Quercus petraea, I've still got loads under cover which I need to remove the bark and sapwood from. I'm going to use the bigger stuff for some larger carved projects that I have in mind.

I made the chest from it and I'm using it for the fan vault too. Lovely wood, with very straight grain.

16th. Century Carved Joined Chest (1).jpg

It's that Baltic oak Quercus petraea, I've still got loads under cover which I need to remove the bark and sapwood from. I'm going to use the bigger stuff for some larger carved projects that I have in mind.

I made the chest from it and I'm using it for the fan vault too. Lovely wood, with very straight grain.

View attachment 127315
Holy rubbish, dude that's stunning 😍😍😍😍😍

@Sachakins I use Ronseal from screwfix
20211217_103841.jpg

@Ttrees I love Iroko, absolutely beautiful when finished, not so keen on its carcinogenic properties though 🤪. Pooch doesn't look too impressed with the mess 😁😁

Is this a spring cleaning thread, or a fancy wood thread, ?
If the former ....
I've been working on hiding everything else I have, and only have iroko on hand.
A thorough re arrangement of the shed so I can try turning some metal soon.

Need to either make some shelving or make more things mobile.

View attachment 127314
You left your bench dog on the floor...

If the former ....
I've been working on hiding everything else I have, and only have iroko on hand.

View attachment 127314
Well that was weird. First thing I saw was the haggard old crone crouching down by the lathe! Then I enlarged the picture and the dog came into view.

If the former ....

View attachment 127314
Or build another shed! I think you have enough material under everything to get a good start on a new shed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back