Let’s see your photos of the nicest tree’s you’ve seen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richarnold":s1qs71qd said:
rgjqYNs.jpg

I love this pair of yew trees that frame the church doors at Stow on the would
Love a nice Yew. I hope this thread keep going.

For the sake of keeping the thread interesting - what about these:-
Peru 130.jpg
I have no idea what they are but they caught me eye in darkest Peru near Cusco
Brian

Attachments

• Peru 130.jpg
    Peru 130.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 140
The reason, as far as I know, for the abundance of yew trees in graveyards and so on is that it was a tradition carried over by the church of old beliefs that the yew was one of the seven sacred trees of the celts (I'm going on 20 year old memory here, be gentle). Much like the Easter Bunny and the Hare, it was adopted to ease the transition of old religion and tradition to the transition of faith to Christianity. One of countless appropriations.
Whatever the merits or truth of that ( ;) ) Let's not get diverted by the fact it's significant that the bones of the beliefs remain even today. That's quite remarkable.
I (or the Mrs) owns that Thomas Packenham book. Remarkable coffee table browser in the best possible sense.

This was taken last year at Obersassbach, right on the Northern edge of the Black Forest, near Baden.

It's in the garden of one of my wife's relations and is said to be 200 + years old. At the spot where the branch is touching the ground, new roots are digging in. Sorry for the horizontal line, it's a composite (Photoshop) of 2 shots taken with a smart phone (couldn't get back far enough to get it all in 1 shot).

200 Year Beech-Obersassbach-C.jpg

Attachments

• 200 Year Beech-Obersassbach-C.jpg
    200 Year Beech-Obersassbach-C.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 121
Sawdust=manglitter":1m51nl03 said:
Just saw this pop up on my facebook...
Must be american, but wow!?!

There's a circular table top, must be eight foot diameter and 3" thick, from a single Oak burr. I've got a feeling it's in Stoneywell House but I could be mistaken. Oak burr normally has a tighter grain than most other burrs (which is why it's so prized by box makers because it works great on a smaller scale), but on this monster it just pulls you deeper and deeper into the surface. You feel you could dive in and swim in the patination it's so glorious.

I've got a four foot Elm burr slowly drying in the wood store, spectacular enough but still puny compared to whoppers like those!

Beautiful Beech avenue in Laurieston Forest, Galloway
IMG_0485a.jpg

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0485a.jpg
    IMG_0485a.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 55
A nice Dawn Redwood I saw in Troon in January :wink:
DSC00410a.jpg

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00410a.jpg
    DSC00410a.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 237
Paul200":14uh1e4y said:
Beautiful Beech avenue in Laurieston Forest, Galloway

Paul
I'll mostly add 20 minutes to my drive home if I'm working West London. Thats a lot of my days. Skip the 25, continue up the A1 then cut through the lanes pretty much because life is short but it's not that short that you can't bend time to your will if you try. The reason I do it has a lot to do with calming my mind after work. Why would you not drive home through woodland? A huge attraction is about 3 miles of beech forest. It's an attractive woodland. But everyday I drive down this particular stretch I breathe a little easier after being in town all day. Natural medicine.

Now that IS impressive, thanks. Any idea how old it may be (and sorry to be an ignorant, but where is Bramhall Hall please)? I presume a stately home or something in UK?

AES":16ugoxi4 said:
Now that IS impressive, thanks. Any idea how old it may be (and sorry to be an ignorant, but where is Bramhall Hall please)? I presume a stately home or something in UK?

it's a place called bramhall in cheshire a massive tudor manor house made using timber oak framing, now owned by the national trust, no idea on the age of the tree but it's got to be at least 2-300 years old, could be a lot older than that, the house was built in the 16th century https://www.stockport.gov.uk/about-bram ... l-overview

Even though it's been dead for years this one that I pass on my cycle to work looks rather interesting
5218982230dd1c8997c69bc3e401e9c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

E-wan":x799v3gp said:
Even though it's been dead for years this one that I pass on my cycle to work looks rather interesting

77.777778 % chance of rain right there.

I saw this nice one working abroad a while back.

sdbchdd.png

Majestic. Probably all the rain they get.

E-wan":fpcojerb said:

Reminds me of the petrified forest at Mundon

IMG_3006.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back