Let’s see your photos of the nicest tree’s you’ve seen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live within day trip distance of Westonbirt Arboretum which is well worth a visit for anyone who likes trees - they have rather a lot!

Their collection includes quite a few redwoods, sequoias and pines which are a good reminder of how impressive a really big tree is when you get up close:

size1.jpg

size2.jpg

size3.jpg

Others show what a huge variety of surface texture and shape there is down in the forest...

form1.jpg

form2.jpg

form3.jpg

But at this time of year, anyone lucky enough to visit on a perfect, clear sunny autumn day is really only going to be there for the colours of the leaves!

colour1.jpg

colour2.jpg

colour3.jpg

colour4.jpg

colour5.jpg

If that's not enough to persuade you to visit, then have a look at the Friends of Westonbirt site to read about their new Woodworks project. It's open now for green woodworking courses and will soon be in business milling and selling some of the interesting 'thinnings' that good foresters know are essential and woodworkers will be keen to take home with them. :)

Cool topic. Saw this giant ash mutant in the woods by my house today. It would make an amazing seat if you cleared out the damp old leaves etc.

skdDmWn.jpg

Went to Audley End the other weekend to meet up with an old mate and her little lad. I've visited the Gardens before but never taken the chance to have a mooch round the house. I find these places a bit hit and miss sometimes. Understandable. Hard to please everyone on that scale of 'historical tourism' for want of a better term, but I wandered into one room and there's this old ink drawn circular diagram on the wall listing 100 + timbers all laid out in circular pattern but regular. I stand there a little puzzled for a moment then work out it's an inlay pattern. I twist round in surprise and it's right there behind me. Just looking at me and waiting to be beheld. 160 plus different timbers used as inlay (from memory). All laid into a circular desk no more than a metre across. Stunning piece of furniture. They have a tray with a teapot on it like some mad diorama and I'm looking in disbelief because to me it's the most beautiful thing in the house and no one sees it. The base is cut from I think oak burl. It's a masterpiece, even I, in my lack of wit can see that. I look at people walking past it, not even seeing it exists.
I say to the lady standing guard. Fu*k me sideways love!!! That's the original veneering plan for that f*ckin' masterpiece right there isn't it?! isn't it! :shock:
I didn't phrase it exactly like at the time. This lady gives me a little knowing smile. Shes a volunteer with a natural interest. Probably got a History PHD.
'Most people look at it for 20 seconds and think its a tree planting scheme'
Now I love her.
Can I take a photo while no one's here I ask. I know it's banned. Ahhh, she says. No problem I say. I'm still in love. Just wanted to share it with some like minded folk. Fair enough. Worth the £18 entry fee for me alone. As I leave I give her a little nod as she's asking some toddlers mother to not let them climb the four poster bed curtains and stand behind the rope like everyone else. She looks tired.
I've had a search online and I can't find any pictures. :( If anyone has any ken, please share.
Personally I occasionally go to these houses and I'm always more fascinated by the lives of the original staff than the family who owned, well, everyone and everything around them really. I always feel well.... I suppose it doesn't matter.
On the bright side...
Probably without those peculiar set of circumstances trees like this would be fewer and further between. Possibly nonexistent.

5ALO90L.jpg

London Plane. =D>

Back