Lemon oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I have made a couple of toys for my grandchildren (1 and a half and 3) I used western red cedar and have treated them with lemon oil. It was not till afterwards that I thought I had better read what is says on the tin to see that it was safe for children but there was nothing on the tin about this, would any of you guys have any ideas. Also any idea what would add to the finish. many thanks.

Geoff.

Don't know what brand you have used but the manufactures site should have a material safety data sheet for it.
The lemon oil I use has a mineral White Spirit base and after reading its SDS I would be doubtful about letting a young person handle or in the case of a very young individual put it in their mouth whist there is any sense of WS still being present..

The amount of volatiles left after some weeks of drying may be small but I do know you need to place any such treated items on a place mat if you don't want to transfer them to a surface.

When dried off a soft or hard wax can be applied over the top, as can a hard oil finish but either tend to mask the lemon oil.
Soft waxes are normally applied over a sealed surface so volatiles evaporate quickly.

Back