Leigh Superjig and Triton routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting the Leigh Superjig but was wondering if anyone has used this with the smaller triton router and if so, did you need to purchase any new guide bushes?

Asked axminster the same but no reply ret, best hurry up or rutlands get the sale :wink:

The centralising plate as supplied with the MOF001 will accept Leigh's Variable Guide Bush system without further adapters being required. Assuming that the new Leigh uses the VGBS in the same way as their D4 jig, you're ready to go. HTH

Ray.

The smaller triton router actually has the same bush as the leigh jig and it works well. My experience is limited but i found the the reducer collet was a bit troublsome and slipped like mad in the triton collet. I would watch this as once you start you cannot adjust it to the same level again.
I personally would check the collet with a couple of deep cuts because it does slip quite easily.
Owen

Corset":28s3s4h2 said:
My experience is limited but i found the the reducer collet was a bit troublsome and slipped like mad in the triton collet.
The MOF001 doesn't come with a reducer collet, it's supplied with dedicated 1/2" and 1/4" self-release style collets. If you're using an 8mm reducer, especially Leigh's own, you're not tightening it enough.

Ray.

LyNx":r737wszj said:
Ray, can you get a dedicated 8mm for the triton?
Triton don't supply one and so far I've not managed to find one either (believe me, I've tried!). I've demonstrated at a number of trade shows and taken the router along to a variety of router makers and cutter/collet suppliers without success so far.

I seem to remember someone (on here, I think) saying that they'd found a supplier of 8mm collets, but I think that was for the big model and the collets are not interchangeable between the two.

I was hoping, when the MOF001 came out, that you could retro-fit the whole collet chuck assembly to the TRA/B001, but that's not possible due to the spindle lock slots being part of the collet on the bigger machine, but not on the smaller one. Hey ho! :)

Ray.

Ray, do you have any pics of the leigh guide bush installed in the triton and i really can't see how this is going to fit unless I'm missing something.

Ray, without knowing it, you answered my question. It's a secondary ring that fits inside the Template guide plate. We couldn't see it in the drawer of fittings but noticed on your website so realised what to look for :wink:

Now we are cooking with gas

I ":3mzb75jj said:
The centralising plate as supplied with the MOF001 will accept Leigh's Variable Guide Bush system.
I refer to this part on my site as the "Template guide plate and alignment bush." It's the ring with which you align the template guide concentric to the shaft before fully tightening the base plate. It was obviously a bit early in the day before my meds kicked in! :)

Anyway, you're sorted now, which is the main thing. Let us know how you get on with it, please.

Ray.

Regarding 8mm collets for the MOF001K, I notice in the safety and
operating instructions booklet that Japanese models are supposedly
supplied with 1/2", 1/4", 12mm, 8mm and 6mm collets.
Don't know why they get such a wide choice, but presumably it means
that 8mm collets are, or at least were, available at source.

The booklet says: "Only use cutters with a shank diameter exactly matched to the collet(s) supplied with this router. (½" and ¼" for Australian, UK, USA,
Canadian & South African models. ½", ¼", 12mm, 8mm & 6mm for Japanese models. 12mm & 6mm for European & Korean models.)"

In Japan, they have 6mm and 8mm reduction sleeves which fit into their 12mm collet and not the 12.7mm collet.

Ray.

You just beat me to it, Ray.
I just checked the Aussie forum and found out about the 8mm sleeve.
I should have known it wasn't as straightforward as implied by the
booklet as you never mentioned it earlier.

Latest posts

Back