Legal Advice buying a lock up garage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought a lock up garage and can help explain the legalities regarding the purchase?

I need some more storage space and have come across someone offering to sell their garage, but wonder is it similar to buying say a house? Will I need conveyancing, obviously needs proof of ownership, no outstanding mortgage etc?

Is there any council tax due on it either?? If anyone owns something similar would appreciate some hindsight?

My Friend has a lock up garage in London and doesn't pay council tax.
Yes - will need conveyancing, very similar to a house, but should be cheaper (not as many checks). Also check for any public right of access in case there is an alleyway or walkway that needs to remain open to the public/neighbouring residents.

I have one I purchased a few years ago. The garage will need to have it's own title registered with the Land Registry. If sold within the last couple of years it may already be registered. If not in my opinion I would get the sender to register before sale as they will need to prove that it is theirs to sell.

With regard to council tax I don't think any is due as long as it is used for domestic storage.

Also plus 1 for previous poster be aware that there may be payments due to maintain access roads as these will not generally be adopted and therefore repaired by the local council.

Good luck

I sold some land without instructing solicitors. If you look on the Land Registry website it explains everything there, but basically to sell all of the land you need to download and submit a TR1 form, or for part of your land a TP1 form. You do this along with an AP1 form, and ID etc. Various fees are payable by the buyer £40 and these are also listed on the Land Registry website. From my understanding, if you want to buy a garage, you either need to buy the land it is on, or you would lease the garage from the land owner? hope this helps alan

Back