Lefties.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just "lefties", as I understand it there were objections from both sides of the house, male and female, but you're not likely to read that version of events in the Express.

From the various MP's comments that I heard yesterday, it seems most objected more to the picture than to the name of the beer.

Well I googled Top Totty and I can assure you that the publications carrying it are not all right wing. Even that extreme rightist organ the BBC are carrying it thus....

A beer named Top Totty and advertised with a picture of a scantily-clad woman has been withdrawn from a Westminster bar after a Labour MP complained.

Roy.

Yes, but what they all fail to mention is that it wasn't just one person who complained, it's so easy to distort a story by selectively leaving bits out. I can't recall the names now, but several MP's comments were heard on BBC Radio London yesterday evening and I can assure you they weren't all female or left-wing.

You also have to remember that Kate Green is the shadow equalities minister, whether she personally approves or not it's pretty much her job to do so on behalf of the people she's supposed to represent.

she's supposed to represent

Always assuming that those people were offended, or did she decide for them? That beer is, I believe, on general sale.
Is it not possible for those who might be offended to purchase a different brew? Why should all suffer?

Roy.

I suppose it was just considered inappropriate in the House of Commons bar, the Leader of the House Sir George Young (Tory) said "I would very much regret it if any offensive pictures were on display in any part of the House.", and Jeremy Lefroy, the Tory MP who arranged for it to be the guest beer said "I can understand that some people may take offence to the marketing, which I am sorry about."

Personally it wouldn't bother me, nor my wife or most women I know, but I can see how some people might have a problem with it especially in such a high profile venue, there is such a thing as context and what might be OK down the pub isn't neccessarily acceptable in the seat of government.

Lowlife":ohbxq68g said:
Yes, but what they all fail to mention is that it wasn't just one person who complained, it's so easy to distort a story by selectively leaving bits out. I can't recall the names now, but several MP's comments were heard on BBC Radio London yesterday evening and I can assure you they weren't all female or left-wing.

You also have to remember that Kate Green is the shadow equalities minister, whether she personally approves or not it's pretty much her job to do so on behalf of the people she's supposed to represent.

You mean she's Head of the TPA?

TPA...Third Party Apologists

I suppose it was just considered inappropriate in the House of Commons bar,

In view of the behaviour of some MPs I personally would suggest that their standards of behaviour are such that they have little cause to complain.
The image on the pump is no different to that on any beach, female competitors in the last Great North Run were in some case no more over dressed. I looked!
If you ask enough people you will always find someone who is offended. That I have no problem with, what Zilch-Wedlock me off is these people who try to tell me what is or is not something I should be offended about.
Page three? I don't look, ladies underware adverts? Who cares?
Here we have the House agreeing to advertisements for abortionis worrying about a beer ad!
God give me patience, and make it soon!

Roy.

Now are you sure that that's the same lady Rog? :lol:
Go on, tell us you recognised her from the pic!

Roy.

Other beers that need to be banned to ensure all beers are treated equally :lol: :lol:

Spitfire - too reminiscent of victory in WW2, and as everyone knows, lefties do not like anything that has winners and losers
Hobgoblin - as stated above it is abusive to those who might be vertically challenged (or facially disfigured)
Bishop's Finger - with the goings-on in the Catholic Church, this really is obscene
Waggle Dance - far too suggestive (what is it that is waggling I hear you ask?)
Bombardier - far too warlike a name for a beer
Black Sheep - racist beer
Courage Directors Ale - too elitist
Fuller's Bengal Lancer - to reminiscent of the Raj in India; potentially offensive to an ethnic minority
Tetley's Huntsman's Ale - Hunting has been banned hasn't it?
Old Speckled Hen - ageist, would possibly be OK if just called Speckled Hen
Badger Tanglefoot - Badgers are protected, so their feet must never be tangled
Bier Blonde - just too sexist!!
Stout - abusive to those with a larger than average waistline
Marston's Old Empire - too colonialist
Thwaites Very Nutty Black - racism at its worst!

I am sure there are many others; however, the House of Commons should be allowed to sell Old Peculiar

Mike

Mike, you missed Wychwoods Dogs Bººlºks :mrgreen:

Just the fact that the dozy person of the female persuasion has never been in the bar says a lot.

"there is such a thing as context and what might be OK down the pub isn't neccessarily acceptable in the seat of government."

This just happens to be a PUB in the seat of governement, so slightly different perhapse?

We missed this one from the US

wailing-wench_large.jpg

A quick google returned some good results
arogant turnip ale.JPG

old leghumper.JPG

panty peeler.JPG

polygamy porter.JPG

vergina.JPG

he'brew beer.JPG

:mrgreen:

Attachments

• arogant turnip ale.JPG
    arogant turnip ale.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 551
  • old leghumper.JPG
    old leghumper.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 553
  • panty peeler.JPG
    panty peeler.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 552
  • polygamy porter.JPG
    polygamy porter.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 607
  • vergina.JPG
    vergina.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 552
  • he'brew beer.JPG
    he'brew beer.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 550
I expect a press report of mass heart attacks amongst lefties after that lot! :lol:

Roy.

What's the actual beer like, by the way?

henton49er":1mr9xqwo said:
Other beers that need to be banned to ensure all beers are treated equally :lol: :lol:

Courage Directors Ale - too elitist
Mike

Never mind that - the real problem with Directors is that it's disgusting and tastes like it's made with cheap ingredients!

And brewed by a predatory company that has done immeasurable harm to the cause of good beer over the past few decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back