Left or Right Handed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Left or Right handed?

• Left Handed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Right Handed

• Ambidexterous

• Total voters

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
Watching the discussions about left or right handed vices started me thinking. About 1 in 10 people in this country are left-handed but left-handers are supposed to be more artistic. So do we have a higher than average proportion of left-handers on these forums?

Extremely left-handed in my case. Perhaps that's why I'm more attracted to the artistic aspects of woodworking such as marquetry and fretwork. I suffered an insect bite on my left hand just before the weekend and it swelled up badly. As a result, I haven't been able to grip anything for the last few days and it made me realise just how much I relied on that mit. Fortunately, the hand's much improved now.

Gill

except when it comes to handwriting.. lack of practice..???

thesedays even right handed looks like the hen's march across the midden...

Intresting statement that more left handers are artistic. I am a scientist and science seems to be littered with left handers! I was even excluded from an MRI study last month for being left handed, apparently it is a problem getting right handed controls from within the department as tthere are so few of them.

Always thought being left handed was a sign of intelligence myself... :twisted:

steve.

stevieb":75lir9f7 said:
Intresting statement that more left handers are artistic.
Sorry, that was a bit of a generalisation, artistic is probably not the best word that I could have used. References here talk about spatial awareness and maths - possibly even more relevant to woodworking. Also suggesting that we might be better in a fight :) I have come across a Scottish clan that was so left-handed that all the spiral staircases in their castle went the other way.

As an aside. Spiral staircases are usually built so that the defender can hold onto the centre column with their left hand and swing their sword around the stairs with their right. This gives them an advantage over the attacker. If you are left handed then you want the stairs going the other way although I guess that makes it easier for your attacker. Probably doesn't apply in modern houses though.

Andrew

Yes, it's true. We LEFT handers is more hartistic, more hintellyjent an' more betterer lukkin' than wot yoo RITE handers is. Seriously, some of my past jobs have enabled this lefty to be a BIT ambidextrous. I, like Philly, am musical (if you can call drummers musical). EH?? Wot spellcheck??

Cheers, Sliver. :D :) :lol:

I once had a T-shirt which read "If the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then only left-handed people are in their right minds".

But then I AM biased!

John

Latest posts

Back