Left handed/reverse thread on plane blade adjuster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellworth

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening wise people.

I've tried to get a definitive answer via the google and a couple of my "plane books" as to why bailey type planes of a certain age have a left handed/reverse thread on the blade adjuster/thrust wheel.

I assume its is to enable a clockwise turn to extend the blade?? I assume it is not for the same reasons my table saw blade and bicyle pedal have a reverse thread.

If anyone can spare a minute or two to answer I'd be very grateful (speculation welcome but I'd prefer something rather objective) - and/or point me towards a good source which discusses the issue.

Gracias.

I don't know the answer, but remember that whatever is threaded also has to go into the casting, so the threaded rod going into the casting had to be reverse thread for what we now think of as normal adjustment.

It's possible stanley also anticipated someone might use a finger or thumb from another hand to add depth, but who knows.

I've always heard that TSs are reverse threaded because the blade has to spin clockwise, towards you, and it prevents the spinning actions from loosening the nut. Don't now if its true but I can imagine a similar explanation would apply to bicycle pedals.

Back