Lee Valley/Bessey K-Body Clamp Offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Lee Valley has a very good offer on Bessey K-Body clamps at the moment http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 52618&cat= It just pi--es me off that we in the UK have to pay exorbitant prices for most things compared to a lot of other countries.

Anyway back to my Lee Valley order. What is the p&p like from the US and Canada? Could this and any import duties and other taxes, that i might be charged, negate or make less attractive the Lee Valley/Bessey offer?

Edit: I have just noticed that they want payment in US dollars and not Canadian. I thought that they were a Canadian company, is this right? If so i would have thought that any payment i have to make would be in Canadian dollars.
Do not get me wrong, the Bessey offer is still very good, but at an exchange rate of around $2.051, against the US dollar at $1.70, it would have been much better.

Regards

Woody

Woody, any payment you make using your credit card will actually be in pounds having been converted by your CC company from foreign currency.
But anyway, all LV international orders are conducted in USD and they're shipped out NY State. You can only pay in CDN if the goods are being shipped to a Canadian address and if that happens be prepared to pay Canadian sales tax. So, best stick to USD.
Regarding the exchange rate it makes sense to use USD as it's considerably stronger than CDN (and bear in mind that LV take the hit for any currency swings).
Take the Bessey offer, using set A as an example:
Price - US$75 @ 1.76 = £43
Price - CDN$97 @ 2.05 = £47

So is it worth ordering some? Might be...
Back to set A again. All prices in USD -
Set A $75, cheapest shipping by surface is $53, total = $128 = £72 without
EU duty and Vat. With the taxes £93 and no doubt a tenner or so for clearance.
For the same set Axminster charge £108 to your front door.
If you get away without the taxes it would be worth it. Otherwise I'd call that 0800 number in Devon.

Rgds

Noel, import/export

You'll prolly get hit for duty ......i've just received an order from those nice people from Lee valley after first completing a form from customs & exise and paying a nice bill for £33.13 :evil:

For me....still worth it as you can't get the item in this country (well i hope not :oops: )

Cheers

Cheers Noel, thanks for the info.

Back down to earth with a bump. I should have know that it was to good to be true. I was going to stock up with a few sets.

apparently this offer is to celebrate Besseys 25th anniversary. Its just a pity that Bessey did not give UK users a chance to save a few bob in its promotion.

Nailer wrote:

For me....still worth it as you can't get the item in this country (well i hope not :oops: )

What item was that then?

Regards

Woody

Woodythepecker":7l7anu4v said:
apparently this offer is to celebrate Besseys 25th anniversary. Its just a pity that Bessey did not give UK users a chance to save a few bob in its promotion

lee valley":7l7anu4v said:
As part of their 25th anniversary promotion, Bessey Tools North America

Don't they remember the tea party?

Jake":29r3dfwt said:
Don't they remember the tea party?

Looks like they forgot........no suprise there then :D

Shame really.....because "if" you where going to get exited about clamps.....K-Bodies would be the ones :p :lol:

Woodythepecker":29r3dfwt said:
What item was that then?

Should have been items really......The Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge and the MicroJig Splitter/s for my 804 :D

Nice bits of kit :D

Woody,
I don't usually gloat, but I've just been to Lee-Valley in Calgary, Alberta.
This lot cost me 119.82 GB Pounds.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
sam :)
c71.jpg

I'm sure it's a personality defect, but I am unmoved.

Am I alone amongst long-term UK woodworkers to remember a certain person's happiness about their new clamps leading to that certain person taking them to bed with him? And on the first date too... :lol: In comparison, Sam, you seem almost uncaring about yours. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3kqprzco said:
I'm sure it's a personality defect, but I am unmoved.
It may simply be that you need more roughage in your diet :) .

Alf":3kqprzco said:
Am I alone amongst long-term UK woodworkers to remember a certain person's happiness about their new clamps leading to that certain person taking them to bed with him? And on the first date too... :lol:

I was just thinking the other day, "We don't see much of young James any more". Hmmm... he seemed to frequent the forum much less after posting that piccy :lol:.

Gill

Sam, is that walking stick i spy in the corner there from the last time you gloated? :wink:

I really don't give sh-t :evil: that you have got a few poxy clamps :cry:

Seriously mat8 good luck to you and i hope you enjoy them :x

Regards

Woody

Back