Lee Valley and linseed oil paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the point where the local band you really like makes it big and you have to not like them any longer.

Because the tickets get overpriced.

Is $66 typical for a quart or liter of linseed oil paint? For that kind of cost, I'd consider buying pigments and making my own.

This is the point where the local band you really like makes it big and you have to not like them any longer.

Because the tickets get overpriced.

Is $66 typical for a quart or liter of linseed oil paint? For that kind of cost, I'd consider buying pigments and making my own.
Not a local band they are big in Sweden. Yes pricy by the tin but has very good coverage, needs no primer or undercoat, easy to apply, needs no brush cleaner.
Most importantly - it sticks, doesn't peel, will never need stripping back and is good for 7 years or more between coats

PS it's about 3 times the price of Dulux trade gloss at B&Q but by the time you've taken the other factors into account it's going to work out very much cheaper. It's about 25% more pricy than Farrow and Ball but ditto.

Last edited:
I don't have great love for modern paint and do most of my (limited sometimes) furniture making with shellac. I grew up in a house that was 70 years old at the time, now much older, and we stripped all of the paint out of it. It's stone, which is unusual for the US (not universally unusual as the eastern coast does have a lot of old stone houses, and the property behind my house was a 200 foot elevation of granite - so it was mined- thus the house was made of the same). At any rate, once the original owners left, every subsequent owner proceeded to paint every shade of nasty in increasing sloppiness.

The biggest nonsense sold here is the idea that paints will last 25 years in bright sun on the windward side. It doesn't happen - and then in high sun areas, most pro painters will work over customers telling them that they need to repaint every 7 years.

...so now we're back to the number you mentioned and how far have we gotten? Not very.

I had the happiest day of my life on Monday when I took some half used tins of Allback to the tip. It got even better when I realised that one of the tins had never been opened. Unless you add zinc oxide (which kinda negates their so-called Uber-friendly eco message ) it's a feeding ground outside for mould. Just watch that lovely paintwork take on that grey sheen....

Useless stuff outside.

I had the happiest day of my life on Monday when I took some half used tins of Allback to the tip. It got even better when I realised that one of the tins had never been opened. Unless you add zinc oxide (which kinda negates their so-called Uber-friendly eco message ) it's a feeding ground outside for mould. Just watch that lovely paintwork take on that grey sheen....

Useless stuff outside.
It's brilliant outside. Well not actually "brilliant", more "matt".
You obviously didn't do what it said on the tin! It's not like normal paint and I also got it horribly wrong at first.

Believe me, Jacob, growing mould has nothing...zilch.. to do with how you apply it or what it says on the tin. Grey mould without zinc oxide - guaranteed. You said so yourself on 18 August "You need added zinc for external use, to avoid mould."

You then went on to confuse further by claiming "It's worth using even without the green credentials". Green credentials are no longer valid since you have to add zinc oxide.

But you will not admit that you're wrong as per normal and so I will not comment respond any further to posts of yors regarding this.

Very over-rated if you ask me. I used some on a flush casement, at my gaff, a couple of years back - cill is now in dung state.

Believe me, Jacob, growing mould has nothing...zilch.. to do with how you apply it or what it says on the tin. Grey mould without zinc oxide - guaranteed. You said so yourself on 18 August "You need added zinc for external use, to avoid mould."

You then went on to confuse further by claiming "It's worth using even without the green credentials". Green credentials are no longer valid since you have to add zinc oxide.

But you will not admit that you're wrong as per normal and so I will not comment respond any further to posts of yors regarding this.
You don't have to use zinc oxide, which in any case is not that environmentally bad - except in aquatic environments apparently - not for boats. At least thats all I could find this morning on google! There is some suggestion that as a sun screen (where it is widely used) it may be carcinogenic but it wasn't very definitive. Don't paint yourself with it!
What is it I am supposed to be wrong about?

You don't have to use zinc oxide, which in any case is not that environmentally bad - except in aquatic environments apparently - not for boats. At least thats all I could find this morning on google!
What is it I am supposed to be wrong about?
I think I will nickname you "Wriggle-wiggle". In one post you say "You need added zinc for external use, to avoid mould" and now you are saying you don't have to. Wish you'd make up your mind.

Well, I have. No further interaction with you over this. I've been looking at some of your past posts. You really do like winding people up, don't you ? Well, I'm not biting any more.

I think I will nickname you "Wriggle-wiggle". In one post you say "You need added zinc for external use, to avoid mould" and now you are saying you don't have to. Wish you'd make up your mind.
I was repeating what it says in the literature. It can be used if necessary - wet environments. I've used it myself but not sure if I've noticed any different, but it is commonly used in paints and doesn't seem to be controversial.
They use titanium dioxide too, which is also thought to be carcinogenic if ingested. Has been banned from toothpaste. Don't paint your teeth!
Well, I have. No further interaction with you over this. I've been looking at some of your past posts. You really do like winding people up, don't you ? Well, I'm not biting any more.
I rather see it as finding myself pursued by angry people! There's a lot of anger about.

PS read all about it: Titanium dioxide - Wikipedia Zinc oxide - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Back