LED panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years ago someone recommended these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400921892859
- I've just bought one and they are brilliant (both senses of the word). When I looked at the company to see if they were cheaper direct (they're more expensive direct) I noticed that they do wire kits to suspend them - £7.99 for one, but decreasing the more you order - I'm ordering another panel, and an acquantance is ordering two so four kits were £19.99. They are quite neat and allow hanging up to a metre down, and tilting.

I should have included the link - https://www.energylightbulbs.co.uk/prod ... ing-panels

phil.p":omwcxfen said:
A couple of years ago someone recommended these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400921892859
- I've just bought one and they are brilliant (both senses of the word). When I looked at the company to see if they were cheaper direct (they're more expensive direct) I noticed that they do wire kits to suspend them - £7.99 for one, but decreasing the more you order - I'm ordering another panel, and an acquantance is ordering two so four kits were £19.99. They are quite neat and allow hanging up to a metre down, and tilting.

They seem very bright, 48W LED that will burn holes in the floor :D :D

I also bought some, built some frames and put them up in my workshop. They are great, definitely reccommend.

Me too. I have ten plus spares.

The colour temperature is so close to daylight, one guy that came to visit was convinced they were light pipes and stepped outside to check !

The only problem I had (and which explains why I was given four spare !) is that the glue used in the construction softened when the lights had been on for a while and so you could see the row of LEDs very clearly. I've lowered mine to get a bit of ventilation above them to mitigate any likelihood of failures.

Phil
Does it say how much space is needed behind the panel? I'm wondering about surface mounting a couple but need to make sure they can be attached to the ceiling in this way.

RogerS":3ijny3ns said:

The colour temperature is so close to daylight, one guy that came to visit was convinced they were light pipes and stepped outside to check !

The only problem I had (and which explains why I was given four spare !) is that the glue used in the construction softened when the lights had been on for a while and so you could see the row of LEDs very clearly. I've lowered mine to get a bit of ventilation above them to mitigate any likelihood of failures.

that workshop is faaaaaaar too tidy!!

On the strength of this thread I have ordered one of these panels...............so you guys better be right or that's £18.99 wasted. I can see me having 2 or 3 more above the busier areas of the workshop if this first one works out OK.

MikeG.":2uw2oi7y said:
On the strength of this thread I have ordered one of these panels...............so you guys better be right or that's £18.99 wasted. I can see me having 2 or 3 more above the busier areas of the workshop if this first one works out OK.

Me too, and me three since I ordered two, one for a newly-boarded loft and one for the utility room. Exciting stuff.

I've dug deep enough already just buying the light. I'll find some way of hanging the thing from the ceiling, without forking out for a hanging kit. What I'd really like to do is to have it on some sort of moveable arm so that I can swing it into various positions.

I was getting worried about my eyesight where fine work was concerned,but now I have fitted these I find I am fine.

MikeG.":1jw05wza said:
I've dug deep enough already just buying the light. I'll find some way of hanging the thing from the ceiling, without forking out for a hanging kit. What I'd really like to do is to have it on some sort of moveable arm so that I can swing it into various positions.

I suspect that you will not need them on an arm, once you see how bright they are.

MikeG.":1drhgtta said:

I take it you couldn't mod\butcher something like (which isn't tiny)

0609306_PE684440_S5.JPG

to give you what you want? Or a much bigger arm?

lurker":1i7zwbqn said:
MikeG.":1i7zwbqn said:

I suspect that you will not need them on an arm, once you see how bright they are.

The problem is that I have a sloped ceiling above my bench, and part of it is occupied by a hinged internal security shutter that folds down to cover the window. This leaves only a small area for a light, and it is at least partially above and behind me, so may actually cause some inconvenient shadows. Still, I'm looking forward to the brightness.

These things are easy to modify if you need to. If you unscrew the edging strip, you will see that the lights go only around the edges. The surface does the diffusing. So if you needed to reduce the area I'm pretty sure that it would be a straightforward job.
Usual stupidity disclaimers! :)

MikeG.":9t1iy7n9 said:

I simply made some lengths of rebated stock from offcuts and screwed them to the ceiling. Initially tight to the ceiling but them I noticed the backs got quite warm and as they heated up my problem arose...so I just got longer screws and let the rebated stock dangle a bit giving me about 10mm of air above.

flying haggis":1rjqmr2g said:
RogerS":1rjqmr2g said:

that workshop is faaaaaaar too tidy!!

You should have seen it two hours later :oops:

A couple of years ago someone recommended these - 48W Ceiling Suspended Recessed LED Panel White Light Office Lighting 600 x 600 | eBay

I should have included the link - https://www.energylightbulbs.co.uk/prod ... ing-panels
Hi

Resourecting an old thread, what space did it cover? New workshop is 4m x 5m, so would 2 do the job or do I need more? Thanks

Back