Led clip on lights

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks but I prefer the brighter cool white LEDs. I have 2 sewing machine lights similar to this. They are 110-240v, switched, 30 LED with a magnetic base & flexible goose neck. One is wired into the switch on a small bandsaw so that they both come on together & the other used wherever it's needed. £9.28 from London Chinese warehouse.
- AC 110V-220V 30 LED Lights Lamp Sewing Machine Magnetic Base Switch For Sewi DL | eBay

According to e-bay those lights are "The item in this listing is currently subject to a recall by the manufacturer or a government agency." so I would be wary using them as if they are supplied with the pictured american two pin plug the wiring may not be suitable for our voltage and if supplied with that plug shouldnt be on sale here anyway

Yes, sorry, I forgot to say that they are supplied with a 2 pin plug & a 3 pin adaptor.
I haven't seen (& don't see) that warning or I wouldn't have linked to the item. I just picked the cheapest one that I came across.
Be interesting to find out if it's just one, or several, manufacturers supplying them.
Appreciate the heads up.

Strictly speaking even supplying the adaptor is wrong and trading standards will take a dim view of that practice. Should come with a correctly fitted BS1363 plug fused correctly.

Thanks but I prefer the brighter cool white LEDs. I have 2 sewing machine lights similar to this. They are 110-240v, switched, 30 LED with a magnetic base & flexible goose neck. One is wired into the switch on a small bandsaw so that they both come on together & the other used wherever it's needed. £9.28 from London Chinese warehouse.
- AC 110V-220V 30 LED Lights Lamp Sewing Machine Magnetic Base Switch For Sewi DL | eBay
I have three of them. They are all similar but not the same. I have one on the sewing machine one on my grinder station (three grinders) and one for when I'm woodturning. They are around four, three and two years old. The magnetic base is very strong and holds well in all sorts of positions on the lathe.

I have three of them. They are all similar but not the same. I have one on the sewing machine one on my grinder station (three grinders) and one for when I'm woodturning. They are around four, three and two years old. The magnetic base is very strong and holds well in all sorts of positions on the lathe.
Gary - you have the Lidl ones, or the eBay ones?

Gary - you have the Lidl ones, or the eBay ones?
They are all AliExpress ones. The ones with ten LEDs (four years old and three years old) I think are the same as the Lidl ones but that's going by my rapidly fading memory. They also seem better quality than the 36 LED one (two years old and similar to the 30 LED eBay example above) and give off a similar amount of light because the individual LEDs (ten) are larger. The magnetic base seems the same for all of them and have no gripes with any of them.

All the angle poise lamps I use have no earth.
Wondering if I can swap out the 2 core wiring for 3 core, and can I keep the switch, as it's built into the bulb attachment,
unlike others and parts I have where the switch is separate, and easily replaceable if need be.

Thanks
Tom

The Lidl ones will come with a three pin plug and will be safe. Wouldn't be in lidls interests to do otherwise! Looking again at the pics I suspect they will come with a "wall wart" style power supply with a moulded three pin plug.

Back