Leather

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some leather for a number of purposes (strops, vice faces, hammer faces etc...) Anyone got any ideas on a sensibly priced source? And/or, does anyone want to combine with me if it turns out we need to order '3 cows' worth' to get a sensible price? I don't need much, but I'd quite like to get some without paying the 'arty' markup at places like craft supplies... I'm after 'cured' or 'tanned' sheets, rather than a raw freshly skinned piece... :shock:

When I needed some leather for a circular strop for my lathe I bought a pair of leather soles and cut them up to size.Cost me about a tenner but if you want soft stuff see if your local charity shop has any damaged jackets

Shady,
don't know if you've noticed but Oldsoke has just posted on the turning forum to say he picked up a lot of leather from a local furniture retailer by asking for old samples. Might be worth a try

cd

Where I used to live there was a place whic made shoes and trainers

regularly used to raid their skip for off cuts, asked first and they where more than happy for me to root around.

Signal

Thx folks - I'll explore some of these a little further...

i was in need of some leather strips recently for an old lathe that was thankfully donated to me. having discussed my need with the wife the folllowing day she hands me an old belt 3mm thick 50mm wide with a question "is this any use", floored by her generous sacrifice from her wardrobe i thought she does listen to me, i think she may be becoming a convert to the art of pasttimes!
any way the belt proved sufficient to cut out new sadddle bed seals for the machine.
the moral if any, when in need try to think of common uses for the materials youre in need of ,they are probably all around us.
i think the technical term is lateral thinking.
have fun.
Dave W

Back