Leather working tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon guys. I want to dabble with making some leather sheaths for axes/froes/draw knives etc. I could do with some advice about what tools to buy/avoid please. I don’t want to do anything complicated, but would like functional protection for edges (and my fingers). There are some sets on Amazon for around £40, with the fastenings being around £12. I’m more than happy to buy these, but don’t want to buy utter rubbish and end up buying again.
Can anyone offer any useful tips in what to look for please? Also, does anyone follow any decent YouTube channels along these lines?

Thanks in advance.

@Noggsy: I have no idea about the what and where of leather tools, but if you watch the BBC (TV 2 I think) programme "The Repair Shop", they do quite frequently cover repairing all sorts of antique leather articles.

The lady there who does it is obviously an experienced saddler, and although this is a more "generalised" programme, not a tutorial, you do get to see the - very interesting IMO - tools the lady uses. For example, for basic cutting out she uses quite a big "knife" which to me looks more like a curved butchers' cleaver. All sorts of edging and punching tools too.

May be worth a look?? Personally I quite enjoy the programme.

But as to what tools, how much, what brands, and where to buy, I have no clue sorry.

HTH anyway.

The Tube is full of leather working advice and several are makers of axe covers etc, watch a few dozen and make your choices.

I can't offer any direct advice either but Harry Rogers on YouTube strikes me as a sensible sort of chap to listen to. He has posted lots of videos about getting into leather work, several covering how to find good tools.

https://www.youtube.com/c/mrwindsorchair

why not just hire a leather worker instead? who already has the tools, just an idea.

Thanks @AES, I’ve heard about that program and will give it a look.

Thanks @AndyT, that’s the sort of thing I was looking for. I’ll look him up.

@thetyreman The stuff I want to do is too as hoc and I want to develop my skill (which is basically zero) in that area.
@Noggsy: I have no idea about the what and where of leather tools, but if you watch the BBC (TV 2 I think) programme "The Repair Shop", they do quite frequently cover repairing all sorts of antique leather articles.

The lady there who does it is obviously an experienced saddler, and although this is a more "generalised" programme, not a tutorial, you do get to see the - very interesting IMO - tools the lady uses. For example, for basic cutting out she uses quite a big "knife" which to me looks more like a curved butchers' cleaver. All sorts of edging and punching tools too.

May be worth a look?? Personally I quite enjoy the programme.

But as to what tools, how much, what brands, and where to buy, I have no clue sorry.

HTH anyway.
I can't offer any direct advice either but Harry Rogers on YouTube strikes me as a sensible sort of chap to listen to. He has posted lots of videos about getting into leather work, several covering how to find good tools.

https://www.youtube.com/c/mrwindsorchair

Back