Learning/training

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I live in Whaley Bridge in the High Peak about 10 miles south of Stockport. I have tried in vain to find a basic woodworking course( like the one I did at school 40 years ago. The nearest colleges do a course specifically for the construction industry and a course where folks do there own projects using college machinery.There are plenty of courses for woodturning and furniture makers.
I am looking for a course that will teach me the basics of tool handling, joints and techniques ie The Fundamentals.
I do abit of DIY, but have no real experise.
Can anyone help or advise please. If you know anyone who lives in the area and wants to teach informally that would br fine

Any help will be appreciated

Mike Howell

Hi Mike

I completed a part time (evenings) Foundation Construction Award - awarded by the CITB - City & Guilds. Whilst the course is aimed at the construction industry, this first year's course is very much back to basics and covers the fundamentals of hand tools, joints and general workshop protocol - lots of practical exercises although, there were approx 4 X 3 hour class room sessions. I found it a great refresher.

The next level course then goes into more of the construction side of things - however, they did offer courses in bench joinery and cabinet making aswell.

Not being familiar with your part of the world, the only thing I could suggest is to check out your nearest technical college.

Thanks both for fast replies,

Buxton is close so I will make enquiries there, will also contact Stockport College and find out more abou the course designed for the construction industry

Mike

Back