leaning tower of hard disks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this pile of hard drives...

hard-disks.jpg

seems a shame to chuck em out they are just 10 gig in size. I had some thoughts that they could be put to a woodworking use.

Idea 1

that platters in hard drive are extremely flat, so with some form of abrasive they could be powered up and used to polish / grind plane blades and chisels.

Idea 2

the head actuating magnets are realy powerfull (dont get your fingers trapped between them cause it will hurt), and could be used to exert clamping presure for veneering etc

idea 3

install in pc, use pc to look at woodworking web sites

Havent tried idea 1 or 2 yet and have way more disks that i need so if anyone wants a disk or 2 to mess with let me know. I reckon they will cost about £2.50 to post

Tombo

What is the physical size of the magnets? Are they as strong or stronger than the rare earth magnets?

It was suggested that I could use rare earth magnets to hold a wooden fence to my jack plane. If the magnets in these drives are suitable I'd gladly have some - just the magnets though.

PM if you think they might be suitable and I'll sort something out re cost and postage.

Andy

I'd gladly have some - just the magnets though.

Just a thought about postage, it occurs that if posting the magnets alone, the machines at the sorting office might find the letter somewhat indigestible :lol:

Merry xmas

Simon

Jake":81qgkvrh said:
They are rare earth magnets - neodymium usually.

They are large ones too - more than strong enough to use for a jointer fence. In fact I have a pair waiting for a tuit for exactly this purpose :oops:

Cheers,
Neil

Back