leaky tap dear? no worries, I'll fix that...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
...or not.

What the heck is this?? Where does the washer go??

6507036735_8efc255ca6.jpg

When in the closed position, there is a small gap (approx 1mm). Cant imagine this is wear, so is it supposed to be there?

6507046435_a317e995de.jpg

Help me retain my "can fix anything" crown and earn some more brownie points. How do I stop this leaking? I assume I have to replace the entire piece??

Isn't it a Cartridge thingy, not repairable and needs replacing as a unit?

Edit

I threw a set of taps away that had them, it was cheaper to buy new taps than 2 new cartridges.

My taps weren't that expensive so getting new was a better option. I seem to recall the bits I needed were about £20 each. So it might be cost effective to replace the cartridges in your case, still a damn sight dearer than a couple of washers though.

Yep, those taps are a nuisance! Mum & Dad had a leaky mixer tap and when we took it apart it was the same type as yours. Couldn't get it fixed despite a few attempts and due to it being a very expensive tap they resorted to having it drip into an empty milk bottle container. Think it's still the same several years later. They hadn't even had it 'that' long when it started dripping.

I think they were pretty convinced they wouldn't knowingly buy one of those again! Rubbish.

many quarter turn ceramic tap inserts are not the same so getting a replacement is near impossible normally a new tap is required.

i think i may have found a way of repairing these though as long as the ceramic disks are not chipped or cracked.

step by step instructions follows :wink: -

-remove rubber base on bottom of cartridge.
-remove lower ceramic disk.
-on top of tap remove circlip.
-push shaft down through the body of the cartrige.
-you now should have a shaft with the upper ceramic disk attached.
-on the shaft there should be a small plastic washer then two rubber o-rings above recessed into the shaft.
-remove the plastic washer and find / make a replacement with a suitable thickness if not slightly thicker washer.
-fit new washer and reassemble cartridge.

(sorry for the step by steps but its the only way i could explain how to fix)

this process will only work if the washer replaced is thick enough, it works as i have found that on taps that have failed i striped down multiple cartriges and the only component that was worn / damaged is the washer which must act as a packing to keep the two ceramic disks together which in turn forms as a seal.

this isn`t guaranteed to work but sometimes does so is worth a shot rather than spending hundred pounds odd on a new tap.
hope it helps someone

cheers, mark.

wow, cheers Mark. I'll be sure to give that a go if I dont find a replacement. I've found the website I bought the tap from and emailed them to see if it is something they can get.

Cheers!

Reading about the unexpected cost involved reminded me of the time when there was a small crack in the wash hand basin in the downstairs loo. 'We should replace it' says SWMBO.
Reluctantly, I enquire the cost at the local plumbing shop.
When told it was only £14 (this is about 15 years ago) I said 'Is that all? OK then'.
There then followed a conversation which went like this (prices from memory - not good at my age!)
Do you want new taps ? - probably a good idea - £25
SWMBO - how about some gold ones ? They would look much nicer - OK £45 not £25 !
So you need a gold plug and waste - I guess so £10
SWMBO - and a gold handle for the toilet flush £8

Took everything home, and fitted the new basin and flusher
Oh! says SWMBO - the door handle (expensive Swedish design) is chrome !!! - About £40 to replace with a gold one

I even had to replace the chrome mirror screws with brass versions.

Thus - not £14 - more like £114 !

So beware!

That looks like a standard body Mick, you should be able to pick one up from a decent plumbers merchant

I have bought replacement off the peg at B & Q. Watch out for the splined top though some have a different number of splines. Alternatively search for "tap repair" at Screwfix and scroll down the list for various options which include tap top.

Alan

Ha Cheers Don, I'll watch my back.

I got a nice reply from the company I purchased the tap from, they put me onto the manufacturers here:

http://www.bristan.com/epages/Bristan.s ... %22#spares

£26!! for one cartridge!! I thought I might replace both but I dont think I'll bother now.

Think I'll have a pop at fixing it as per the instructions above first. Nothing to loose.

Not to rub it in Mick, but one of our bath taps was seized, cost me a £1 from a nice man at TBS to get a whole new valve :p

Plus your much too young to be calling your other half dear!

Hi Mick

Bristan is a pretty common brand and you should be able to get replacements from Plumbcentre, Grahams, Crosslings and others without problem - ask for trade discount, pretend you're a plumber and you'll get it.
Most likely from B&Q and screwfix as well but best to take the old one with you as there are also differences in the length of the threaded stem and cartridge.

Last ones I replaced cost me £16 + VAT for the pair.

I haven't tried the "repair" and wouldn't for a customer but worth trying for my own taps next time - thanks for that Mark

cheers

Bob

Wow! £16 for the pair sounds good!

Trouble is, if I take one out with me, the misses is without cold water in the sink for the rest of the day. In itself not so much of a problem, but she'll use it as an excuse to spend the day 'out' which usually means shopping! So you can add a zero to that £16 :)

mickthetree":3h0ewuxn said:
Wow! £16 for the pair sounds good!

Trouble is, if I take one out with me, the misses is without cold water in the sink for the rest of the day. In itself not so much of a problem, but she'll use it as an excuse to spend the day 'out' which usually means shopping! So you can add a zero to that £16 :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never thought of that!

Back