leaking washbasin waste

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just fitted a new washbasin and fitted a new waste outlet. The wretched thing leaks ...does anyone have any suggestions? It comes with one rubber washer and a large nut. Does the washer go on top between the flange and the basin or underneath between the nut and the basin? I fitted it currently on top between flange and basin.

I liberally used silicon rubber (enough to block the hole in the Titanic) but somewhere along the line there must be a gap.

To be honest I can't see how one can ever make it watertight as the waste outlet flange is flat, the washbasin has a curved outlet hole, the waste outlet flops around in the hole....such a huge margin for error. A truly duff design but they all look like that!

Hi Roger

I had the same thing happen when i fitted a new basin in the bathroom i went back to the supplier moaning about the rubbish he had sold me when a bathroom fitter overheard my complaint, he said " throw the washer away and give it a good smear with clear silicone sealer put it together and leave it over night" i did just that and is has not leaked to this day.

Worth a try
Paul

Hiya. The washer is supposed to seal the large not under the basin, because a basin waste has slots cut into it to allow the overflow to drain away. The way I used to do it was a roll of plumbers putty between the flange and the basin inside the sink, then smear the washer with more putty both sides before fitting between the underside of the basin and the large nut.

Hope that helps

Dennis

I agree with jorden if you go to b&q and get some plumbers mate its only about £150 or so and use that to bed in the plug hole and that should solve your problem if i understand you correctly.

Gasket on outside of bowl and plumbers mait on internal

p1034197_l.jpg

Derek forgot the decimal point

Latest posts

Back