LEAKING VELUX WINDOW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust1

Established Member
Reaction score
A customer called me in to take a look at a damp patch that has appeared on their wall. I tracked it back to the velux window. It is leaking in the lower left corner and running down the ceiling. The roof
has a low pitch and tiles.
Any one know where i should be looking, i took off some capping but nothing obvious.

i had a leaking velux in the kitchen extension. Water was dripping onto the floor. I called a roofing firm in, they said the angle of the pitch was too low, for the velux.
They took both of them out, and then built up the angle making a frame. i had new velux put in while they were doing it, and i've never had a problem since.

We have a velux on a very shallow pitch above the stairwell, and it has been fine, even in torrential rain. I am not saying the other guys were wrong, just that it doesn't have to leak necessarily.

The issues are likely to be with the flashing outside the room under the tiles. Check that it is turned up at the outer edges, so water can't be blown sideways past it, and that the corners around the window frame don't have holes or wrong-way-round overlaps. It's a while, but IIRC you are supposed to turn up the cut edges of the membrane up the sides of the frame under the flashing, so it may be leaking in higher up and running down on the membrane beside the frame, only becoming apparent at the bottom corner.

It is easy to get all this stuff wrong if you don't pay close attention when installing. Flashband will stick to the Velux aluminium flashing, so you can make good repairs with something a bit more durable than caulk. You used also to be able get a flashing kit separately, so you might redo it once the weather improves. You can reach pretty much everywhere you need to from the window, as long as you have good access inside.

My guess would be that someone made a mistake when installing it... hope you find something really obvious!

E.

Apart from Erics good advice above, check for dirt blockage in the channels. That is no 1 cause of water ingress on Velux and the older cast iron skylights. May not be fitted/dressed properly or even wrong type of flashing kit used.

Latest posts

Back