Leaking roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop has this in it at the moment:
DSCN2806.jpg

I am in the process of fixing the leaks in the roof, along with the help of the Landlord. I am having difficulty with the gutters though. They are old internal asbestos gutters and one or two of the seams are leaking. I have tried some of the thick mastic type sealer on them but it won't stick to the gutter? I have cleaned up the surface and given it a sanding but it just won't stick to it? Anyone got any ideas? There is no access to the outside of the gutters (easily) so we are trying to seal them from the inside. Replacing them isn't an option I am afraid. :roll:

Can you still get the old Velband (I think that was the name) grease impregnated bandage, that used to stick like the proverbial to blanket, as indeed it was. Wonderful stuff as you could mould it, and as the roof warmed up in the summer it didn't dry out it just soaks in more.

I have had great success with it in the past.

Gareth

mailee":2mf1akhp said:
They are old internal asbestos gutters and one or two of the seams are leaking.

I wouldn't be touching them. Get the landlord to put his hand in his pockets and get them properly removed and then you can give him a hand fitting new ones.

Asbestosis wouldn't be fun in the slightest.

Dibs

at the very least get a sample of the asbestos tested , my nextdoor but one neighbour removes this horrible stuff for a living some of it is way more lethal than others and won't take years to kill but months . If you do insist on tackling the job your self don a full suit & mask and spray the asbestos with pva this will help prevent the asbestos pores getting into the air .

have you tried evo's sticks like sh*t this normally bonds to anything.

I don't like the idea of you sanding asbestos but the risk is up to you.

Maybe the answer could be to use some simple fibreglass....apply resin, apply fibre sheets/strips, cover with resin. Has the advantage that usually fibreglass will stick to most things, won't need sanding but may need a bit of cleaning, will seal in the asbestos so that it is encapsulated so less free floating fibres for you to worry about.

Wear a full suit plus face mask and goggles.
Get the landlord to do it or ask him for 12 months free of rent as a minimum.

Al

I might also add Alan, that if we get a really cold snap, it looks like you've got little or no insulation in that very high roof line...whatever heat you generate at ground level is going to go straight up into the Gods and you won't get the benefit of it...hope you've invested in some thermals :lol: - Rob

Unable to stop the water coming into a shop from cracks in a high level carpark in a shopping centre i designed a system for collecting the water inside and then routing it into the drainage system. That`s an idea. Only you will know if that`s feasible and/or satisfactory.
all the best
rob

It's not condensation is it? My roof is 100% but unlined - when it's frosty condensation runs down the inside and drips off at the same points as though there is a leak.
Otherwise it's the landlord's problem. Tell him to fix it or you won't be paying rent. Perhaps start looking for somewhere else immediately as it looks pretty inhospitable to start with!

Try spray foam if the void is damp it will help the foam action like poly glue and it can take some movement .

I shall be leaving it to the landlord as when I got in this morning there were more leaks than I thought. Just below the glazing panels at the apex there are small leaks all the way along! I had to move my table saw as it had dripped on it along with the outfeed and infeed tables. There must be about 8 leaks along there! It looks like it needs one of those spray on coats over the full roof! Well it's in the Landlords hands on Monday. :roll:

Sounds like condensation as it hasn't rained for a day or so, here at any rate, but has been cold and I've been getting condensation drips too - just isolated spots but always in the same place.

I would think it may be condensation as suggested by Jacob. You will get it on a cold but particularly frosty morninmg a bit after your heating goes on. You used to get it on double layer make ups in the 80's. It ran down untul it found a purlin or soemthing to let it drip down. Good luck.

Mailer, asbestos is the landlords issue he has a responsibilty to get it checked out, made safe via removal or containment it needs to be clearly marked and indentifiable.

The leaks also need sorting and like someone said . Let him sort it mate.

I know its not want you might want to hear but don't be afraid to walk away from it if he won't play ball.

As someone from the mining industry I've seen people close to me taken by lung diseases, n ain't pretty.

Sorry to be so heavy but you only get 2 lungs look after em.

Sanding asbestos to fix someone else's leak problem rather sounds to me like volunteering to clear a minefield with a pogo-stick!

I once spent a week replacing a large percentage of a rented house's cold water system where a builder had "done their thing", saved the landlord a fortune, still got done-over by them! I learned that lesson the hard way

Aidan

Alan

It is the landlords problem.

I sort the odd thing out in my workshop but anything major either my landlady gets someone in or if it is something for me to do she pays me the going rate.

I would not mess with Asbestos roofing though as I guess your business insurance will not cover you if there is a problem.

Tom

Its ok the landlord is going to sort out the leaks in the better weather. As for the ones in the centre of the shop it is condensation. I shall put a poly sheet up for this and duct it away from the centre of the shop out of harms way.

Latest posts

Back