Lazy susan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning on making a lazy Susan and have a few questions. I am using a wine barrel end as the top that I expect is around 550mm. I expect that it will want regluing and some sympathetic cleaning.

There are various bearings available from the usual woodworking suppliers . Is there any difference between them, or are they from the same Chinese source. I see that simply bearings also does one for a pound or two more.

Beyond 12", the price steps up considerably. Do I need to go above a 12" diameter bearing?

How big should the base be- a bit more than the bearing size or a bit less than the top?

No need to shell out for a bearing, just buy 10-12 balls off ebay and make a cage out of sheet to space them evenly in a circle.

I made one with a router and some marbles.

Pete

Just route a groove in the bottom? How are the halves fixed together?

Myfordman":3a0ooxg9 said:
No need to shell out for a bearing, just buy 10-12 balls off ebay and make a cage out of sheet to space them evenly in a circle.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't quite picture how the cage is made. I don't have balls(!) Or sheet, so by the time I have got these and the time taken, it would probably be easier to buy one.

A grove in the top and bottom and a bolt through the middle.

Pete

I've got several of these that have been lurking and unused for years. I would have to check the diameter. If you're interested you can have one for the cost of postage.
Brian

Make sure your intended table is wide enough for it.
Dont forget you need a full place setting either side and then some spare space, or youll be knocking wine glasses over everytime it moves. :shock: :roll:

Come on, where's your imagination? :) Obviously you need a small model steam train on a circular or elliptical track towing a tray.

sunnybob":280e4t3x said:
Dont forget you need a full place setting either side and then some spare space, or youll be knocking wine glasses over everytime it moves. :shock: :roll:

I'm not sure what you're saying here Bob. A Lazy Susan sits in one spot (the middle of the table usually), is round, and revolves on its axis. You could spin it at 1000 RPM and it wouldn't knock anything over. I reckon they come into their own on large circular tables where anyone can revolve it until the salt and pepper come into reach.

MikeG.":3245iey9 said:
sunnybob":3245iey9 said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here Bob. A Lazy Susan sits in one spot (the middle of the table usually), is round, and revolves on its axis. You could spin it at 1000 RPM and it wouldn't knock anything over. I reckon they come into their own on large circular tables where anyone can revolve it until the salt and pepper come into reach.

By the sound of it Bob's parties are better than Mikes? Who knows what (or who) sits on the Lazy Susan!

marcros":3vcec2gu said:
I would be grateful if you could check the size for me.
Yes, they're 230mm dia as per Hafele details. If you want one get in touch via a PM and we can exchange details.
I've got 7 of these things so if anyone else is interested.........
Brian

I made a lazy susan as my very first woodworking project 5 years ago. I was quite proud of it.
But it soon got sidelined because there was always someone (expletive redacted) who leant over and span it too fast, making things fly off, or on a different table there wasnt enough room for the soup spoons as well as the wine glasses, and yes, there was an incident when someone tried to rotate the wine bottle to the other side (I'm not proud of that night :roll: )

On the other hand, there is a chinese restaurant in Kyrenia, that has a lazy susan on each circular table that seats 10 people, that is so heavy it CANT be spun fast! :roll:

Racers":37lv45f9 said:
I made one with a router and some marbles.
I made one with a drill bit and a nail.

Nobody else can use this design though, patent pending and all that :mrgreen:

I realise you might be making a joke, but I wanted to epoxy the nail into the base (totally unnecessary I realise) and I figured the hole in the top part needed to be a clearance fit to allow it to spin freely.

So, as an interesting idea, I am going to make Suzi from the head of a wine barrel. I got this one on eBay, not the cheapest option on there, but it has some interesting markings rather than just being an oak circle. I want it to retain some of its history. £15 delivered to me which I think is fair enough. some silly person has tried to hold it together by using nails, snipping the heads and knocking the other side onto the shaft. they should be easy enough to get out when my pincers arrive, and I will domino and glue the staves. 25mm thick and 580mm diameter.

The wood is unfinished so is generally grubby. There are various markings, some are branded on, some are paint. Any suggestions on how to clean the grubbiness without removing the paint? Worst case, I will have to hit it with the sander, will lose the lion and still have the branded markings.

IMG_20200127_230342-1036x1842.jpg

IMG_20200127_230403-1036x1842.jpg

IMG_20200127_230418-1036x1842.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_230342-1036x1842.jpg
    IMG_20200127_230342-1036x1842.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20200127_230403-1036x1842.jpg
    IMG_20200127_230403-1036x1842.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20200127_230418-1036x1842.jpg
    IMG_20200127_230418-1036x1842.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 89
The nails are quite possibly original, especially with a cut head.
give it a gentle wire brush to knock of the worst then leave it alone. a coat or 2 of matt or satin will make it good enough to eat off and hold all that nasty grime in.

if that isn't to your flavour take a head on shot of the lion and I'll see about making you a mask so you can repaint it after you've removed it. :)

for me I think I'd have made a fake barrel lid but I can appreciate your dedication to authenticity. :D

now all you need to do is find some big balls and a base. :)

Back