Laying floorboards over concrete floor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishthump

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, have'nt posted here much but hoping you guys would be able to give some advice.

SWMBO wants wood flooring in our living room and hall and I am looking at various ways of doing it.
She wants normal pine T+G floorboards to match our upstairs flooring, but this has to be layed over a concrete floor.

I have done this before (in my mother's house, many years ago!) and the method I used was to screw battens made by ripping 18mm plywood into aprox. 3in strips and screwing these directly to the concrete floor at 16in centres. Then screwing the floorboards to the plywood strips as if they were joists.

I'm not mad about using this method again as it raises the level of the floor by about 1.5 inches which could cause a problem at the front door, but I don't see what other options I could have.

Any help?

Hi

have you thought of engineered wood if you spend enough looks very nice, this can be laid directly onto concrete (subject to DPC in situ).

You would need to ensure the exisitng floor is dead level if not some self leveling compound will sort that out, this would loose the batterns and wont move.

hope this helps

Hi

I've just had to lay an oak floor in my bathroom and found this website forum really useful, one of the ways suggested to me was to use an adhesive to glue to boards directly to the substrate layer - I went with concealed screws eventually as I thought getting access would be an issue but directly onto concrete wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.diynot.com

rgds

Darren

Daughter's husband used the Kahrs (spelling?) engineered wood system laid with their thin polystyrene(?) membrane directly on to the concrete floor of what was once the garage for a bus. So was far from level. The "planks" have a very precise locking tongue and groove on each side and the end result was excellent, though not cheap.

I did this when we extended the house and converted the old kitchen to a dining room, the concrete floor had been ceramic tiled previously. I laid a combination damp proof membrane / underlay and then straight on top of this with the pine floor boards laid as a floating floor, ie just glue the tongues and grooves together, don't fix to the floor. Stained and polished, it's been down for about eight years now and looks a treat.
good luck

Richard

Back