Lay shaft/ counter shaft - for coronet major

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Iam in the process of making a heap of bits (coronet major - maroon) into a useable piece of kit for a friend.
Their first need is to use the lathe primarily for bowl turning but also some spindle work. Having found the leg attachment and rest, worked out a plan for an adaptor and Chuck ( lots of good info on this forum -thanks) I have turned my attention to speed. The motor is an original with 2850 rpm , the smallest pulley combination is 2 inch driven to 4 inch spindle so that’s 1425 rpm.
The owner is a young novice and with 1425 being the slowest , that’s not great for bowl work I am told . Don’t want to change the motor because he wants to make use of the saw, planer and morticer kit ( when I get them built). Looking into electronic gadgetry but that’s adding a lot to his outlay which leaves a counter shaft arrangement. There’s nothing in the heap that bears any resemblance to that even though the bowl rest setup was there, painted green, so maybe a later purchase?
I noticed joe the drummer produced a good looking shaft arrangement back in July 2013. I would like more details please before I make one. Has anyone else on the forum made a similar set up - if so. How did the belts tension? Is having only one slower speed ( aiming at a 2/3 reduction through an additional 2” , 6” combination pulley on the counter shaft) a real pain and do you have a better design.
I need to get this part of the project up and running before Christmas, so I need to put my skates on any help would be appreciated I assure you.

1425 RPM is too fast for an out of balance piece of wood rather than too fast for turning.
Can't help with your query other than to offer a copy of the manual & some advertising which show the lay shaft.

Attachments

• Coronet Major 09 - P10 & P11.jpg
    Coronet Major 09 - P10 & P11.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 32
Thank you Robbo , very helpful , it shows how it was intended to tension the belt. I would really appreciate a copy of the manual.
Does anyone have a M19 that could give me a rough set of dimensions. Even a set of colour pictures would help me construct one.

In the additional advertising there is a photo of all the extras including the lay shaft. No dimensions but you may be able to work them out from the scale of known bits.
You need to start a conversation & give me an email address.

I have only made 2 post on this forum and it appears I don’t have PM facility at this time . I have only seen the 2 page advertisement so far. Not sure where to go next

I have only made 2 post on this forum and it appears I don’t have PM facility at this time . I have only seen the 2 page advertisement so far. Not sure where to go next
I think you only need another post to use the PM/"conversation" system.

Back