laws and bylaws needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i have been lurking in the background for some time due to family comitments.

the problem is after the demise of my father in september and subsequent cremation i now have his ashes,
my sister whom lives in sweeden could not come to the funeral so has asked that his ashes could be dispurst on hayling island
but i do not know weather this would be ok withe the powers that be . so if anyone has a link to the rules and regs and the local authority could they please advise.
thank you for any help.

woobutcher (richard)

Hi Richard

I think if you go about asking the question of the 'authorities' you may well get bogged down in 'jobs worths'. I'm not aware of anything to stop you - my mother in laws ashes were cast to the wind off a breezy Derbyshire dale where she loved to walk. My father's ashes rest in a cask in the sideboard (since 2000). His and mother's wish is that the ashes are mingled (eventually...mum has dementia and is in care) and cast into the Adriatic off the coast of Trieste. Dad fought in N Africa and then through Italy in WWII and was eventually stationed awaiting demob in Trieste where he met mum, hence their wish.

I really wouldn't worry if there are regs or not. Choose a good time for the family to participate and remember all the good times........

As above, discrete ceremony and job done.
I can imagine the nonsensical business that could develop if you were to ask for guidelines.

I did look into this a few years ago and was told by a local authority when I asked the question that as far as they knew there was nothing to stop you on public land but private land could be a different matter.

john

I go along with what the others have said. Only ask the question if you are prepared to accept the answer you are given. If you have already decided, then don't ask.

FWIW we recently investigated interring my mother-in-law's ashes in the local churchyard with a small plaque flush with the ground, and have been quoted £200 for the church and another £200 for a small slate plaque. We've concluded that as she elected to have my father-in-laws ashes scattered over the crematorium rose garden at no cost, and with no memorial plaque, she would freak a week at spending that sort of money and so she'll be scattered in her favourite bluebell wood in May. Decision made - not asking anyone!

A bluebell wood sounds like a lovely place to go Roger :D . I love to see the daffodils coming out so may choose that for my final place :D

Do it and be Damned, to me last wishes trump jobsworths.

Roy.

I have never known anyone ask permission for the scatterings I have known, but please don't do as was once done at a local beauty spot where my good lady and I parked up for a walk. I opened the door of the car, swung out my foot, and trod straight onto a pile of ash complete with a card stating that ***** was now where he wanted to be!!

Gareth

thank you all for your reply,s but i feel that their could be an objection from some one if we turned up on a beach and started to through ashes into the sea where people are swimming.

woodbutcher (richard)

woodbutcher":27sty211 said:
thank you all for your reply,s but i feel that their could be an objection from some one if we turned up on a beach and started to through ashes into the sea where people are swimming.

woodbutcher (richard)

Richard - I think you may have answered your own question? How about first thing in the morning before the bathers arrive? Or last thing in the evening as the sun goes down? Or the quiet end of the beach? Or on a cold day? If this is the location you want for your father I am sure you'll find a way that meets your requirements without it upsetting anyone else. "Carpe Deum " as they say!

Back