Lawn Edger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of curvy lawn edges. It doesn't take a huge amount of time to cut with a strimmer, but I hate doing it. Has anyone got a powered lawn edger that works well??

Are you on about cutting next to the curb?
One can get excellent results by having the mower low and overhanging the wheels off the edge.
Might cause a bit of a witness marks, but not really noticeable.
Just make sure your curbs are descending, and not the other way round.

Are you on about cutting next to the curb?
it's mainly just the lawn edge at flower beds. What you describe is what I do just now when I can't be bothered strimming it. It's a dip and twist motion. The mower sucks the longer grass up at the edge. I could get a mower with a rear roller, but I was looking for something which would keep the ground edge tidy as well as the grass. I think tidy edges look really good on a lawn.

I have a battery Worx strimmer. Has a 'wheel' and I can twist the head round about 90 degs and 'walk' the wheel along the edge. Takes a bit of practice, but works well, cleaning up nicely after the mower leaves those horizontal blades of grass?

Sickle or short bladed scythe.
Some posh ones here, not cheap but they last for life. Short scythe blades - Scythe Cymru
There are cheaper.
Turns the job into a pleasant little quiet exercise.
Sharpening is very easy (unless you are into modern sharpening! :oops: ).
PS you can do straight lawn edges with a long bladed scythe but a short blade is handier in a garden.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Jacob, the 60cm mowing blade looks tempting

The only question is whether to use a peening jig or do it freehand ;)

Last edited:
I have a battery Worx strimmer. Has a 'wheel' and I can twist the head round about 90 degs and 'walk' the wheel along the edge. Takes a bit of practice, but works well, cleaning up nicely after the mower leaves those horizontal blades of grass?
We have one of those. The "command" button for line feed doesn't seem to do anything except stop the motor dead. There's a spring loaded bit next to the line spool that would appear to advance the line if pressed and released, but, as far as I can tell, it doesn't move if I press the command button.
So I'm wondering if the spring loaded bit is thrown outwards by centripetal force, and the sudden stop makes the spool advance, or something...
Any insight would be welcome.
And apologies if I should have asked this in another thread or private message.

Sorry @John Brown - Agree it's not quite 'automatic' (new with every spool of nylon line).
If really short I push that button, pull the line, be gentle and more comes out
(hope that reads sensibly!)

Ok. I may have a slightly different model.
Can't check or take pics, as I'm not at home, but ours has the button and the trigger to make it run, and another button, that the manual says feeds the line if you press it while the motor is running.

Back