Lathe 'upgrade'/Union Graduate questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_southward

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Chaps - I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup - a Record CL3 (new version). I've been fairly happy with the CL3 but wanted to upgrade to variable speed and whilst I was doing that, upgrade to something with more mass (the Record stand is laughable and not fit for purpose). So I've been looking at new lathes, which are pricey but look great, or a Union Graduate long bed.

I turn bowls & spindle work but want to be able to get in greenwood logs for bowls and the Record just isn't going to cut it without variable speed; and I've been so disappointed in the stand that I've been put off Record altogether.

So I have a few questions about the Graduates that I'm a bit unsure of:

- turning outboard - how do people go about this? Do you learn to turn left-handed or reverse the cut on a normal right-handed stance (if that makes sense).
- again outboard - obviously with variable speed there's the option to reverse the spindle direction, but then you need a chuck you can lock onto the spindle with a grub screw - I can't see if that option is included on the chucks I've looked at does anyone know if any do?
- I do like the option of a rotating headstock (very common nowadays and something I'm used to), but the Graduate offers an alternative option - though it's a bit different to what I'm used to. Does anyone have experience of the pros and cons of both?

I'm sure I've other questions, I just can't think of them at the moment - any comments on the above issues that help me get my head around it will be gratefully received!

phil.p":2zwr65y4 said:
Paul Hannaby posted a link on another thread to a variable speed Graduate for sale on the AWGB website not long ago.
You can get faceplates for them carrying both left and right hand threads.

Hey Phil - thanks. I've been in contact with Paul about it and I'm planning on going up to see it, but I wanted to get my head around it first before travelling. It's a long way to everywhere from Cornwall - as you know! I understand about the face plates and maybe I would end up doing more faceplate work with it, but I'm used to using chucks currently so wanted to see how others manage.

As an aside, I've been meaning to contact you about coming back down to the club as I'm not working in Devon any more so it'll be a bit easier for me to get down after work. I didn't think I'd be able to find it on my own though, especially in winter.

LancsRick":12e68z0z said:
The outboard end has a left handed screw - swap the backplate on your chuck and you're laughing.

Sure, I know you can get left-hand thread chucks, but that doesn't address how you actually use them. The rotation is the same but the body position is different as far as I can see (assuming you carry on cutting bowls the same direction). If you change the rotation to suit right-handed use, the chuck needs to be 'lockable' as far as I understand it - though please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps without bedways in the way it makes little difference? Not having used one (or seen one used) I've little idea so forgive me if I'm being a bit thick!

Most chucks for graduates have both a left hand and right hand thread cut so you can mount on either end
i've never seen a faceplate with both cut
you can easily add a grub screw to stop your chuck unscrewing
you easily get used to turning on the outboard end ( i would say)

Ian

I guess it's possible to dual thread stuff for the graduate as it's a pretty chunky thread - easier to machine and less chance of cross-threading? I didn't realise they did it until looking into the Graduate lathes.

Hi Matt, if you're on facebook there's a really good UG owners group - I'd say its the most useful FB group I'm on, there's no ego conflicts and everyone is really helpful.

TFrench":y6pn9fcm said:
Hi Matt, if you're on facebook there's a really good UG owners group - I'd say its the most useful FB group I'm on, there's no ego conflicts and everyone is really helpful.

Thanks for the tip. I usually avoid Facebook like the plague, but maybe I'll make an exception for this - could be useful!

Back