Lathe upgrade to run slower speeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have an Axminster AC370WL and was wondering if there is anyone who has modified one enabling it to run at slower speeds for turning 12inch blanks safely as well as sanding and finishing.
My slowest speed at the moment 480rpm.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

As Paul says its OK if it's balanced. Now getting it balanced is the aim. My lowest speed is about 350 and even that can get the judders on big blanks. I have found that an electric plane can be a help with that. Mount in chuck or faceplate and let it find the heavy spot. That rotates to the bottom. Mark that and rotate by hand to a convenient point then lock the indexing. Plane a bit of the heavy spot off. Repeat the process as required. When you feel its not too bad turn on lathe and see how it goes.
Regards
John

Slower speed won't necessarily help basically because the sticking out bits will be hitting the chisel with less momentum. A weaker chop.
In the end it's much easier to do all the rough work off the lathe; band saw, or axe with the workpiece on a chopping block.
I've been doing similar but with irregular log shapes between centres; scribe circle at each end, one side over the planer until it's flat enough to turn over, thickness, then bandsaw to roughly square, then band saw again at 45º to make octagonal.

Last edited:
If you want to turn larger diameter/off centre pieces then getting the lathe solidly mounted can make a huge difference. stack up the frame with bags of sands/gravel whatever, or bolt to the wall/floor, whatever is easiest.

Thank you for all your ideas.
One of the reasons for wanting to run slower even after trying to round off and balance the blank is to eliminate the scary factor of 'whats going to happen when I turn this on'. Is it going to shake itself to bits as there is no soft start!!!
I will bolt the legs down to the floor because I tried using ballast in the form of big bowl blanks and heavy tool boxes which did make it better but what a racket, lol sand bags sounds like a really good idea. Heavy and silent.
Think I might have to brace the legs up as there is a fair bit of flex because they are so thin.
The other reason for wanting a slower speed is for sanding and applying finish.

Thanks again
Dave

Yes it can be scary if you don't have a soft start. Inverters are coming down in price now, that would allow you to have a wider range of speeds but only really suitable for 3 phase motors.

If the lathe is more secure it will be safer.

Sounds like the stand itself may be a problem. I prefer a good solid wooden stand myself. Solid being the key word. Few of the stands that come with lathes are all that good.
Regards
John

Yes, the stand that come with this lathe is really thin gauge and twists alot. If after I bolt it down to the floor it still has movement I will look to bracing it up with some steel maybe.

On the other hand - maybe it's just practice practice?

Latest posts

Back