Lathe upgrade rethink, some thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi, am considering new Coronet Herald, and had some good points in my other post.

Wondering on reflection if I need the outboard turning option?
What max size bowl do you normally turn?
I have turned a 14" on my DML36SH MK2, on outboard (inboard max abut 8) but hard going.
I was looking at herald because of its big outboard size but is it really beefy enough for that.

Have a chance on an Axminster AT1416VS/AT350WL. With 14 over bed , no outboard though.
Anyone used one, any points to note, anyone used it to max capacity?

Really not sure now on lathe to get, only got small shed so unions etc unlikely.
Let me know what others you think around £1000ish

I would guess if a lathe is a bit lightweight but has an outboard or rotating headstock option, the question is whether you will be turning out of balance pieces, or large bits of wood already made round on a bandsaw jig or similar. Out of balance wood is where the mass of a solid cast iron lathe is a benefit.

When I started, I had a Shepach DMT450 lathe which I found wobbled alot if the workpiece was even slightly unbalanced. Bolting it solidly to the bench (which was in turn attached to the shed wall) and it made all the difference.

On alot of the lathes that come with a simple folded steel frame, I have heard it is common to load up the lower shelf with sandbags to keep it steady.

Don't forget that some lathes without an outboard facility or a swivelling headstock are designed so you can slide to the right hand end of the bed and turn larger diameters there. You need working space at the end, of course - but if you intend to do any long hole boring you need space there anyway.
I wouldn't now buy anything without a swivelling headstock - it's just so much easier and more comfortable in normal turning to offset the head 10 or 20 degrees.

If it's bowl turning you wish to do a Graduate short bed does not take up much room,if you are really tight for space then the outboard bed can be removed,short spindles can be turned ,you would be able to turn bowls up to 20" diameter and they can easily be converted to VFD,I should think you could get a second hand one for your budget.

P.S.just looked on eBay there is a short bed for sale £755 and ther is an inverter on our own forum £100 ,job done and you would have a proper piece of kit.

Back