Lathe upgrade, one more question...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi,
So after all your input and me going dizzy, the Coronet Herald it is, maybe, sort of, could be, you know the rest.
Just thought I'd have one last check on what's out there and BAM, came across this.
It's from Simon Hope at Hope Wood Turning. From same manufacturer as the stratos lathes I think.
It's the Midi Pro, anyone got any comments or views on it.

Attachments

• midi_pro_spindelkopf_vredreht-web.jpg
    midi_pro_spindelkopf_vredreht-web.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 422
A link to the lathe would have been useful.

- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-ch ... i-pro?c=48
Specs:
M33 x 3.5 spindle
1HP motor with 3 x pulley range.
65KG cast iron contruction
Swivel head.
14" swing over the bed
420mm in between centre. (650mm with bed ex)
1" tool post for max stength
24 Position index.
2MT head and tail stock.
100mm bearing distance for strength and stabitily.
Tail stock stroke 100mm.
Can be bolted to a bench top.
Bed extension will fit on side or end to increase the spindle length.

Whereas the FU-350 has a fixed head & slightly lesser spec but is much cheaper.

- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-ch ... the-fu-350

Motor 0,75 kW / 1 HP (230 V)
Centre height 176 mm / Dia-Ø: 350 mm
Between Centres 400 mm
Pulley 1, 2 and 3 80 - 800 / 170 - 1700 / 350 - 3700 rpm
Spindle and tailstock taper M33x3,5 with 2MT
Tailstock 2MT with quill measurement
Tool post size Ø = 1" (25,4 mm)
Dimensions L x W x H: 865 x 330 x 415 mm
Weight approx. 43 kg
Price: £790 inc VAT & shipping.

Basic equipment:

Headstock, bed, tailstock and tool rest all made from cast iron
Live centre
Variable speed through 3 pulleys
24 index system
Tool rest 150 mm
Faceplate 80 mm
Bed extension available
Forward and reverse
Mobile control box with magnet
Hand wheel

Only you can decide, depending on what you require them to do, whether the £400 price difference is worth the difference in the specifications. Both are probably too new to have sold many, to find out if they have reliability problems.

I'm struggling to figure out what the 'plate system' is as opposed to the bed extension, and it's hard to see how much greater diameter you'd get using the bed extension attached to the side compared to having the tool rest on the regular bed - it's doesn't look like much? And having the Tool rest/ banjo completely separate from the lathe (https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-ch ... pro-bed-ex (second pic - is that the plate system and bed extension joined together?)) could be less stable? Maybe I'm just confused, but it'd be good to see a video of it in action (I searched but didn't find). Definitely looks nice.

Yep, that's very clear - plate to side, extension to bed. I'll pretend it's coz I hadn't yet woken up properly. :oops:

I wouldn't have thought it very practical to use it off the front of the bed - the lathe would need to be mounted far enough from the front of the bench/stand to allow for it, meaning you'd have to lean over it the rest of the time.

Phil Pascoe":2gmufohv said:
I wouldn't have thought it very practical to use it off the front of the bed - the lathe would need to be mounted far enough from the front of the bench/stand to allow for it, meaning you'd have to lean over it the rest of the time.

By using the plate system it allows for the extension to be unclipped with the use of a single knob and repositioned either at the end or on the front. So it does not get in the way when using the lathe

Dalboy":15lniqzw said:
Phil Pascoe":15lniqzw said:

By using the plate system it allows for the extension to be unclipped with the use of a single knob and repositioned either at the end or on the front. So it does not get in the way when using the lathe
But don't you then have to remount the lathe to the front of the bench?

Chris152":1nrol43e said:
Dalboy":1nrol43e said:
Phil Pascoe":1nrol43e said:

But don't you then have to remount the lathe to the front of the bench?

You don't need to move the lathe for either position just set it up at the front as for normal turning

Dalboy":1svikefj said:

Yes .......... but you still need the space in front of the lathe to use it there. Great if you're not bolting the lathe down, of course. Good luck with that.

I have just looked again and realised that the easy change system can't be used with this lathe my appologise everyone for my previous post. I see that the extension has feet under it.

Robbo3":2up56o1l said:
A link to the lathe would have been useful.

- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-ch ... i-pro?c=48
Specs:
M33 x 3.5 spindle
1HP motor with 3 x pulley range.
65KG cast iron contruction
Swivel head.
14" swing over the bed
420mm in between centre. (650mm with bed ex)
1" tool post for max stength
24 Position index.
2MT head and tail stock.
100mm bearing distance for strength and stabitily.
Tail stock stroke 100mm.
Can be bolted to a bench top.
Bed extension will fit on side or end to increase the spindle length.

Whereas the FU-350 has a fixed head & slightly lesser spec but is much cheaper.

- https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-ch ... the-fu-350

Motor 0,75 kW / 1 HP (230 V)
Centre height 176 mm / Dia-Ø: 350 mm
Between Centres 400 mm
Pulley 1, 2 and 3 80 - 800 / 170 - 1700 / 350 - 3700 rpm
Spindle and tailstock taper M33x3,5 with 2MT
Tailstock 2MT with quill measurement
Tool post size Ø = 1" (25,4 mm)
Dimensions L x W x H: 865 x 330 x 415 mm
Weight approx. 43 kg
Price: £790 inc VAT & shipping.

Basic equipment:

Headstock, bed, tailstock and tool rest all made from cast iron
Live centre
Variable speed through 3 pulleys
24 index system
Tool rest 150 mm
Faceplate 80 mm
Bed extension available
Forward and reverse
Mobile control box with magnet
Hand wheel

Only you can decide, depending on what you require them to do, whether the £400 price difference is worth the difference in the specifications. Both are probably too new to have sold many, to find out if they have reliability problems.

Thanks, seeing it this way makes me wonder where the 22kg weight gain is, heavier the better.
I do need a swivel headstock, have trouble leaning over the bed.
Cheers :eek:ccasion5:

Just looked at manufactures web site in Germany, many more photos and information.
Found this shot, which is deal breaker for me, as i think it's an awkward solution to outboard turning.
Plus adds £240, for the two extra beds.
So it's the coronet herald as the winner, just got to pick the supplier. Thanks to all for your input.

url]

Attachments

• Midi-Pro-mit-Aussendrehvorrichtung-und-Rohling-detail-Kopie-webhwG3PYmhW6hRW.jpg
    Midi-Pro-mit-Aussendrehvorrichtung-und-Rohling-detail-Kopie-webhwG3PYmhW6hRW.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 234
The whole thing seems to rest on the idea that it will work with the lathe and extensions sat on feet rather than bolted down, as if you could shuffle them around. Almost as if someone who doesn't turn designed it.
I can't imagine trying to turn with the way the components are set up, on a bench, in that pic.

Yes, that was my feeling too, shoving 65kg back and forth would be no fun.

Back