Lathe stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TA09

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

Thinking about building a new stand for my myford ml8 lathe and I am unsure how to make it. Should I make a frame of something like 2x4 or just use plywood like in this drawing?
3061bdc91e87cc96475bb31c6216fbd1.jpg

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

The stand should be as robust and heavy as possible to dampen the vibrations. I'm not sure the frameless plywood version would achieve that unless you filled it with alotof weight.

I built mine based on a plan in Keith Rowley's book ''Woodturning: A Foundation Course''. The legs are 100x100mm the top is 2 layers of 19m chipboard flooring. Frame bolted together. As long as its heavy and solid to absorb the vibrations. Some put bricks or sand bags in the bottom but I have not needed to do that.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P7110010.JPG
    P7110010.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 147
  • P1010006~1.JPG
    P1010006~1.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 147
I agree with Orraloon. I think the ply frame as sketched would be too flimsy. If you go that way, I suggest doubling up on the thicknesses (to 36 mm, two sheets glued together or one thick sheet) of the sides and the back, and also make the back full height without that big cutout. If you need the cutout for a motor than frame it with something thick.

It's really better to frame it using 100 x 100 legs and at least 35 mm top. You don't need to do fancy joinery, since if you fill the sides in with 18 mm ply that will make the whole thing stiff enough.

Weight low down and stiffness are important. If you can attach it to a wall that is also very good.

You need to be able to lean in over the bed to do things like hollowing bowls, so ideally the front edge of the bed needs to be close to the front of the bench. I made mine from some 2x4 decking support joists, like a giant saw trestle but with one shelf about 30cm down. 10mm bolts, crude, simple, quick and cheap. Top was 2 pieces wide so c. 8", legs splayed out like a trestle just beyond the ends of the bed so not in the way. First lathe, decided I would make something 'better' once I had more experience of what I needed. No need has yet arisen :)

Thanks for the tips guys! Found a photo of one so I decided to copy it. All it needs now is the worktop and some shelves or drawers
a4f03dee8dd817f5e4836bebe4966e4a.jpg

You could buy one of the original ml8 stands. They are sturdy welded steel. Some people put weights in them for even more stability.

K

graduate_owner":2jow1qj6 said:
You could buy one of the original ml8 stands. They are sturdy welded steel. Some people put weights in them for even more stability.

K
Yeah I would, but have not seen them here in Norway. The original stand would be best.

Latest posts

Back