Lathe spindle size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap and cheerful chuck for my lathe (spindle 3/4 x 16). Screwfix have one for £34.99 to fit the Ferm FHB940 lathe. Anyone know what the spindle size is on the Ferm and is this chuck any good (or any other recomendations ?)

i think screwfix only sell wood lathe chucks that fit their lathe spindles - it should be a 3/4 x 16 tpi, but it will prolly be the independent 4 jaw chuck - if it's the £34-99 one then it's a pain in the bum to get it working right, and there was a problem with the one i had having very rough seating faces inside for the screw threads resulting in one of them breaking - check out the copy of the record rp3000x chuck that charnwood has to offer - stock ref w832 priced at £54-00.

jimmer

Looks like it's derived from a metal turning chuck, which is much lower rpm.

It doesn't look safe to me and I certainly wouldn't use one.

I also hated the RP3000 chuck and was glad to get rid of it.

I'd save your money and get a proper chuck - look at Axminster, or the Record Vicmarc version for example. More than you want to spend, but much safer IMHO.

Remember that you could have a few pounds of wood spinning round at 2-3000rpm - you want that held on to properly !!

Les,
I'm no wood turner but I do metal work on a lathe and I have to say cheap and cheerful are two words that don't mix where chucks are concerned. Cheap and Weep actually go together much better!

Why risk life and limb, expensive wood or even more expensive hours with something that is sure to bring you grief?

I fully agree with the views above, Les.

If you buy a decent chuck (they are normally supplied with just a set of 'standard' jaws - usually 50mm dia. compression and 75mm expansion) there will be a wide range of additional jaws and accessories available for it - for all those different sizes and types of holding you will no doubt want as and when in due course.

Can I suggest to you a look at the Axminster catalogue, they'll send you a copy if you haven't got one, which will give you a good idea of the wide range of kit that is available. I've looked at their chucks and, although I don't have one, they look fine and as good as any to me. For convenience I would look for a scroll chuck that tightens with a chuck key, rather than the type that has two tommy bars to tighten it - leaves one hand free for holding your work in position as you tighten. :wink:

Looks like you may not be too far from Axminster so a visit might be worthwhile - but I'd recommend leaving the folding stuff and plastic at home until you have decided. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am off into Devon next week so will try to call into Axminster on the way. No need to worry about overspending as a budget restrictor (SWMBO) will be with me ! :roll:

I know this topic is a bit old but the Ferm lathe is identical to the MachineMart one. Many other companies sell the same lathe and chuck under their various brand names.

Les,

I started off with the Ferm lathe and the chuck that you are refereing too. The lathe was fine to learn on, but the chuck was a waste of time. It took ages to set up correctly, and even then it didn't grip very well. After the second catch, and the lump of wood wizzing past my ear for the second time I gave up with it. I used the faceplate with 4 off 3/4" screws - probably a bit of overkill, but at least the wood never came off, no matter how bad the catch!

As I became more experienced, I saved up my pennies and eventually bought the Record RP4000 chuck (which fits a 3/4" x 16 tpi spindle), and I have been really pleased with it. You can tighten it up with one hand, the gearing isn't exposed so it doesn't get gummed up, and there are loads of jaws available for it.

When I changed my lathe, I got a Record so as the chuck would fit the new one.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for the advice.
Since my last post I have purchased the Record RP4000 chuck and am very impressed and extremely happy with the chu :D ck.

Back