Lathe sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Democritus I would be interested to hear your opinion of how the Stratos compares with the Axminster. I am currently considering the Axminster AT406WL which i believe is the new version of the 1628 but was wondering if the Stratos is worth the extra money. Thanks

I don't need the lathe - but I'd be very interested in a wife like that!
Have you checked out Axminster under Hand Tools---More Hand Tools---Gardening Hand Tools---Generous partners. They have a wide selection available.

Hi ajcr

I have turned one bowl on my new Stratos. So far I am very impressed. It’s a solid, very heavy, machine, well engineered, and quiet in use. There is a good range of speeds available, and moving belts on the speed pulley configurations is very easy. There is the added bonus that belts can be replaced easily when needed.( I obviously have not had to do this yet,) I mention this because on the Axminster replacing belts is a much more complicated business, although I never had to do it.
I had great support from Simon Hope during the setting up process, Telephone calls were answered quickly ( no ‘ you are in a queue’) by Simon himself, who solved all my setting up queries,and gave me great advice.
I have no knowledge of the Axminster AT406WL, so I can’t say how it compares with the Stratos. What I can say is that the Stratos is an upgrade on the Axminster 1628vs, but that is not to say that the1628 is a bad machine.
As with most things, you get what you pay for. Or, in my case, what my generous wife paid for. I think it is worth the extra money.
Best wishes
D.

You can sell woodworking machinery on Ebay as a classified listing instead of an auction so you set the price. For more expensive items, this works out cheaper than an auction but the down side is you pay for the listing whether the machine sells or not.

I was a great fan of e-Bay and bought a lot of really nice golf equipment off the site. Until one day someone hacked my account ..... I was obviously not aware of this.

I received a couple of e-mails from e-Bay requesting payment of a 'sale fee'. I ignored these e-mails as I had never sold on e-Bay and assumed they were SCAMS. Next followed a letter from a 'Debt. Collector'. The hacker had sold a £6,500 handbag on my site and e-Bay were chasing me for their fee.

It took several worrying months to convince e-Bay that I had not sold the item. It also meant initial dealings with 'Action Fraud' and many further communications with the 'Debt Collector' and e-Bay. Needless to say I don't use e-Bay anymore and much prefer SHPOCK.

Regards, Alan,

Last edited:
Needless to say I don't use e-Bay anymore and much prefer SHPOCK.
So, after one difficult experience - not caused by eBay but probably due to your own lack of security, you would sooner promote an alternative company who have a Russian link? Even with today's situation with regard to Ukraine?

I think not!

I was a great fan of e-Bay and bought a lot of really nice golf equipment off the site. Until one day someone hacked my account ..... I was obviously not aware of this.

I received a couple of e-mails from e-Bay requesting payment of a 'sale fee'. I ignored these e-mails as I had never sold on e-Bay and assumed they were SCAMS. Next followed a letter from a 'Debt. Collector'. The hacker had sold a £6,500 handbag on my site and e-Bay were chasing me for their fee.

It took several worrying months to convince e-Bay that I had not sold the item. It also meant initial dealings with 'Action Fraud' and many further communications with the 'Debt Collector' and e-Bay. Needless to say I don't use e-Bay anymore and much prefer SHPOCK.

Regards, Alan,

I thought he was Capitan Kirk's mate.

So, after one difficult experience - not caused by eBay but probably due to your own lack of security, you would sooner promote an alternative company who have a Russian link? Even with today's situation with regard to Ukraine?

I think not!
I think you are being rather unkind to Braggi J-G.
e-Bay appear to me to have very poor security.
I had a similar experience to Braggi some years ago when an e-Bay account was set up in my name without me knowing, & 2 sales made with the money disappearing. The buyers involved the police who duly arrived.
e-Bay were extremely difficult to contact & deal with. They offered no help or support & it was only until I involved a BBC programme that suddenly the source email & bank account were revealed.
Needless to say I would not touch e-Bay with a bargepole. They refuse to say how many cases of fraud are enacted through the e-Bay portal or the estimated amount of stolen goods for that matter.
There are other ways to sell & acquire.....but I am sure from looking at the posts here that many will disagree.....

In response to J-G ...... I joined UKWorkshop a few days ago hoping it would be an enjoyable experience. I offered comment so that other people may be advised. I was not aware of SHPOCK having a Russian connection, I thought it was developed and administered in Germany. J-G Thanks for your reply, but I don't feel it's a very warm welcome to a new member from an 'established member'. I doubt if I shall be commenting or contributing any further.

I'm sorry you are disturbed and even put off contributing further, and certainly did not intend my response to have anything like that effect. I've been in IT support for many years and am always astounded when anyone blames a third party for being 'hacked'. eBay - or any on-line supplier for that matter - do not 'hack' their customers and have to take any transaction at face value. The onus of proof of must be on the potential customer.

Hackers rely upon the user being lax with their security, not upon commercial companies being lax - and eBay certainly are not!

I have no idea how you were 'hacked' but I'm confident that eBay was not to blame and I just took exception to the inference that eBay caused the problem for you. Yes, they might have been more understanding but at the end of the day they have to believe that their customers are essentially honest.

I've done many eBay transactions and never had any problems with the company per se -- I have had issues with faulty goods which in all but two cases were resolved amicably through the eBay Messaging system. The two cases that were not resolved this way resulted in swift refunds once I invoked the 'Dispute resolution' (or whatever it's called - I would need to log on to be more specific).

One can only have an opinion based upon experience and my experience with eBay has always been positive - as both Buyer & Seller.

Latest posts

Back