Lathe recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Londoner100

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I have been turning for 4 months now on a Jet 1014 mini lathe and have finally realised that addiction has set in. I want to turn larger bowls than I can currently turn and I am looking for a larger lathe. I have looked at the Axminster AWVSL1000 today which looks good and has the ability to turn the headstock (Handy as I am left handed.) The only couple of things is, its very long, is there any thing like this but shorter? and also whats it like to work with?

Ian

Hi Ian,

Not had any expireance with the jet Lathe you have but being Jet i'd of thought the build quality was very good as the bigger versions i've seen are, as for the axminster AWVSL1000, id have to ask myself was it a good upgrade, I know you will have bigger turning capacity, but there are many lathes like this about all with different names i think. This lathe is a good begginer lathe however you seem to have the bug now and you will soon grow out of this lathe.

It would be good if other turners here put in their opinions as i'm sure many here will think the same.

spasm

Thanks for the reply's my budget could stretch to about £500, a rotating head would be useful as I am Left handed and currently go to the other side of the lathe for hollowing bowls. Variable speed mechanical or electronic would be nice as well. Also for got to say I have a couple of chucks in 1" X 8 TPI at the moment.

Ian

Back