Lathe purchase ideas...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally had an Axminster AWVSL1000 - similar to the AC370 - number change but looks funtionally very similar.

Good value and I kept for 5/6 years. But not perfect - noisy, fairly crude machining and finish. 10 speeds on a lever is better than changing belts but not as good as electronic speed change at the twist of a knob.

After looking around I went for the Coronet Herald. In terms of pleasure to use they are chalk and cheese - the only issue for some may be the length of the bed.
  • slow speeds for cutting threads or dealing with initially very out of balance blanks
  • reverse capability useful for sanding
  • indexing not included on the Axi
  • power is limited - can stall if it is pushed hard on a larger turning
  • 1" x 8 thread on Axi is dated
Having the extra functionality future proofs the purchase even if the features are not initially used. As it is a hobby it is no great hardship simply to be a little more gentle/patient.

I went from the £250 Axminster Craft lathe to a £950 lathe and haven't regretted it one bit. The Axminster got me started (hooked) but the difference in machining alone is very apparent. The most noticeable thing was the tailstock on the Craft lathe had a lot of slop in the bed ways (looking down from above, you could twist it a lot) which made drilling a lottery. On the new lathe, there is the absolute minimum slop required for the stock to move freely.

I have the Axminster and it’s great for the money. IMO you are not really comparing like for like. Ask any questions if you still need any answers (sounds like you may have made your decision). I must admit to occasionally thinking about an upgrade though!

One small point on the Axi vs the (2x the price) Record is the wheel on the headstock. Axi doesn’t have it, Record does. It sounds a small thing, but is a PITA sometimes not having one. Again, it’s budget (but perfectly competent) machine spec vs a much nicer spec machine.

IMO you are not really comparing like for like.
You are right - and it is deliberate - it is I guess more of a question as to which price band to go for - those are the two lathes that seem to be popular for those price bands - and the question was more whether it was worth spending more, or whether there was sufficient capability in the lower priced option...
It seems that generally the view is buy the Herald if possible, and the big difference is in the low speed / digital speed options... and I think that will be the deciding factor...

just to bring this up to date...
delivered yesterday...

2021-09-23 10.43.05.jpg

not allowed to use it until my birthday next week - but will open and assemble it this weekend (just to check that all the pieces are there!)
Coronet Herald...

interestingly, they appear to have updated it as there is a sticker on the outside of the box saying that it now has a self-ejecting tailstock...

Exciting weekend ahead for you :)
I bought my Herald since 2017 and have no cause to have second thoughts, very good build quality, smooth and easy to use, and, if you need it, the customer support I found to be ‘old school’ by which I mean, first class.

just to bring this up to date...
delivered yesterday...

not allowed to use it until my birthday next week - but will open and assemble it this weekend (just to check that all the pieces are there!)
Coronet Herald...

interestingly, they appear to have updated it as there is a sticker on the outside of the box saying that it now has a self-ejecting tailstock...

Always nice to see someone getting a great bit of kit(y) I'm sure it won't disappoint.
Also, hope you have a nice Birthday. I'm sure it'll be one knee deep in shavings.

Got a herald and still love it.
As an aside, SWMBO, has a SIP mini lathe with a self ejecting tail stock and I hate it.
1) can't do long boring as no through hole in tailstock.
2) can't use standard length morse taper properly, as it ejects it to early, losing nearly 2" of travel, as its designed for stubby short morse tapers.

Not saying herald is same, as mine is not self ejecting, but worth checking.

Interesting - I assumed that a self-ejecting tail stock is generally thought to be a good thing! I assume that Record Power must have had feedback to now have added them?

Last edited:
Interesting - I assumed that a self-ejecting tail stick is generally thought to be a good thing! I assume that Record Power must have had feedback to now have added them?
I know the coronet envoy has self ejecting tailstock.
The SIP we have is only MT1, so maybe, being MT2, there is room for hollow and self ejecting?

As an aside, SWMBO, has a SIP mini lathe with a self ejecting tail stock and I hate it.
2) can't use standard length morse taper properly, as it ejects it to early, losing nearly 2" of travel, as its designed for stubby short morse tapers.

Is it possible to have his n her lathes?!!!

Cheers James

Is it possible to have his n her lathes?!!!

Cheers James

It was bought as..."its a small lathe for you to learn on darling, mines a bit too powerful for a beginner"

That's was my ruse to get a second smaller lathe, suprisingly it worked 🙃

And it's really not that difficult jabbing a bar into a hole LOL

Back