Lathe options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can help me make up my mind on a new lathe...

Budget is around £1000 and I've currently shortlisted the following:

1) Axminster AT350
2) Record/Coronet Herald
3) Record CL4
4) Simon Hope's FU350 (rebadged AT350 at significant saving)

I have a small workshop and like the idea of being able to move away the AT/FU350 but I worry its capacity might some frustrate me if I want to turn anything over 350mm. From what I gather, the motor and drive control are decent/better than the lathe needs.

The Herald retains a manageable size but can accommodate larger size bowls should I need the capacity in the future. I'd like the lathe a whole lot more if the controls had a remote/movable box like the AT350 and newer/upcoming coronet range. I am also aware that the motor is DC rather than AC/inverter driven... is this an issue or am I concerned over nothing here?

The CL4 gives all the capacity I'd ever need but in a footprint that would likely frustrate me when its not in use. AC motor and the proven inverter control appeal but its a big lump that will get in the way of a workshop that isn't dedicated to turning.

Thoughts?

I Have seen the Record/coronet in use a couple of times and was impressed with how quiet and smooth it was one of our club members has just bought one and is pleased with it

IMO the FU350 is the best value for money.
It has more power & is heavier than the AT350 as well as being £110 cheaper.
Both the Records are £1000 unless you can find them on offer.
The Herald has splayed tubular legs as an extra @ £150 whilst the CL4 has a stand included. Both will take up valuable room in a restricted space.
At 43kg the FU350 is no lightweight so I wouldn't want to pack it away after every session.
If you find you need greater length, make the item in two parts & join them.

Thanks the responses everyone... I am under the impression that the FU350 and AT350 are identical in everything but the paint job. It’s just a case of weighing up the cost difference versus warranty.

I’m keen to see what Simon has to say after his visit to Germany as he’s looking at the updated midi lathe and a rotating head version but the latter is likely going to push the cost up to around £1200. Still, it would offer the capacity whilst retaining the small footprint.

The Herald can be got with legs, a set of tools and a few blanks for just over £1000 so a tempting package... and a five year warranty too.

Decisions decisions...

i just bought the stratos 180 twister with legs, just got in from shed after the 1st days turning on it, well what a tool , plenty of power, heavy as hell, quite, and every thing just glides beautifully , how about that without the legs a bit over your budget but can turn head for bigger diameter turning, and got all the power you will need

There is a Nova DVR on the bay atm for under a grand with extras. If you had considered that

I've had
Arundel J4 junior which was excellent but small
Hegner something which was horrible
Record C3 which was sorta crude and clumsy to use
Arundel J4 senior which is absolute superb and only £100 ebay.
There's a lot of good 2nd hand stuff available.

Back