Lathe mod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
many of you may have already considered this
Was thinking of doing light milling/turning of soft metals on my wood lathe
do you guys think a cross vice or x-y table would do it
Do you know of anyone who has done this perhaps on a nova lathe or indeed other?

your thoughts /views please

Myford, of hallowed memory, made a version of the top slide off the ML7 metal lathe specially for the Mystro (I've got one) and there was almost certainly a version for the old ML8.
Either could probably be adapted very easily for any lathe.

you can by fairly cheap x vices at axminster,with a suitable tool I don`t see a problem,I make various screw chucks and adapters out of steel freehand on my woodturning lathe,regards,

Eric.

Depends what you are going to do, but I turned the stem for my goblet challenge on my CL1 with my spindle gouge and parting tool. Both HSS and no problems at all. No comments were made about it at all, but it was not a problem with either the turning or finishing.

Turningalu.jpg

Just take it nice and slowly with light cuts and a bit of patience

Alugobletc.jpg

and you can finish up with a really nice piece of work????? and the satisfaction that it is all done by hand and eye :mrgreen:

woodturnerEric":2t8bxyo5 said:
you can by fairly cheap x vices at axminster,with a suitable tool I don`t see a problem,I make various screw chucks and adapters out of steel freehand on my woodturning lathe,regards,

Eric.
can you suggest something - may visit axminster this weekend

jonzjob - o donnell jaws them ,are'nt they?

OK for small metal bits?

Back