Lathe Manufactures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysie39

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody got any idea of who still make Woodturning Lathes in Eurpope. I can think of the Germans unbuyable because of price.
Belgians and UK. There are others but not sure if they are being made in China and sold on.

Thanks Pete , is the VB 36 made in the U K. or elsewhere.
I have seen them advertised on a German web site and was wondering :?

Hello All, I was just wondering how many are still made in GB if any.
Wood Turners are still trying to get their hands on Secondhand
British lathes because of the materials that were used to make them .
And when you look at the price of imported lathes it makes me think
why are they still not being made .
Quality is always wanted.

chipmunk":1gfb2sxi said:
Hi Tiddles,
What's wrong with the live centres?

Mine (Oneway clone) which came with the 1642 has been pretty good.

Jon

rubbish bearings, a little out of centre, which for a centre is a pretty big deal, and generally feels cheap, now replaced with an Axminster multi-centre which is way better, the rest of the lathe is great quality. Nothing highly innovative or easy to use in it, but it's solid and steady

Aidan

Hi Aidan,
Thanks for the answer. I guess either I got a good one or you were unlucky.

I suppose these ancillary items are likely to fall victim to cost-cutting.
Jon

Jet lathes are made by Powermatic in America,then there fitted with European electrics,for the European market,to meet with EEC rules,oh and Magma lathes according to their website are made in Olbernhau,Ergebirge,Germany.regards,

Eric

Many thanks to all who posted.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when looking at lathes if I see one with the fan part of the motor faceing the front ,I think of the Far East. As I say I could be wrong but it does not make sence to me. I suppose it cuts down on the cost by not having to put an extra bracket on the lathe to mount the motor differently. It just annoys me when I see one with "all the shortcuts" costing the same if not more money. I suppose this could be said for other machinery as well.

Or maybe I have all this wrong , and if they were being made in the U K. they would be dearer to buy. But surley they would not put the moter on the wrong way around. Oh well was just wondering.

i saw on the myford website that they are planning to manufacture lathes once again, using British made components. It doesnt say which models, or whether they will be woodturning or metal turning.

Pretty sure they won't even think of manufacturing wood lathes in the near future. Myford's last wood lathe (Mystro) was a bit of a flop in design and sales terms, so there's probably not much incentive to revive it. My excuse for having one is to be able to interchange chucks between it and my S7 metal lathe.
RDG tools, who are now the owners of the Myford name, have a bit of a reputation with lifetime Myford devotees, and it's not a terribly good one. But at least the Myford name hasn't disappeared into the mists of time yet.

woodturnerEric":2eb9v8gk said:
Jet lathes are made by Powermatic in America,then there fitted with European electrics,for the European market,to meet with EEC rules,oh and Magma lathes according to their website are made in Olbernhau,Ergebirge,Germany.regards,

Eric
Are you sure about that? I know Steinert is based in Olbernhau, but Magma, according to the Contact page on their website, is based in Austria, which is another country.

Latest posts

Back