Lathe Light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought a little toolpost light from one of the shows which was nice in theory but the magnet was useless.

I have the Charnwood, and as with most lathe lights, I think they're far too short. It's really annoying. I can never quite get it into the position it needs to be in.

I'm always on the lookout for something like the ones the Americans have.

Like this :

1599158438765.png

I have this one. It is pretty good as long as you have somewhere for it to stick. It goes nicely on my headstock.

I had seen that one and - perhaps unfairly - dismissed it out of hand for being Charnwood. Seen a number of similar looking versions with different badges.

I have a bank of twin 600mm LED panels which can be positioned directly over the lathe but sometimes my own shadow obscures the workpiece, even when turning between centres. Harder still is when I'm trying to hollow something out.

I've had several different set ups including Ikea and Lidl clip on type but eventually fitted a 10 watt LED security type floodlight over each lathe, loads of white light, low running cost, easy to change angle, I just put each on to a plug and in line switch, works for me.

Bought from B&M for about £7 each.

I too have the Gloforce. Got mine from Yandles. It has a great output for the money.
Very few LED Lights on the market actually tell you how many Lumens of light they put out. Too many say the "power" in watts. That's the equivalent of boasting the power if a car based on the volume of fuel it drinks. Others boast the number of LEDs. Again this tells you nothing about the amount of light they put out.

I've been using some I bought from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PK3L1Y2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1I hope that link works. They do 2 options - spot or "flood". The magnets are really strong although the metal disks they supply to stick to non-metallic surfaces are pretty naff. There are three light strengths built in and a timer (if you need it), and the USB lead is really long - just plugs into a power socket with USBs in it (or a phone charger, pc or whatever). I've actually got 6 of these light dotted around various pieces of kit in the shop, and I can't do without 'em. Highly recommended, especially for the price.

I use a gloforce eyelight in my workshop you can get different length goose necks and it’s not the cheapest but I find it really useful - got mine from woodworking and powertool show a few years back
https://www.gloforce.com/product/ey...oodlight-with-270mm-magnetic-gooseneck-stand/
This is the one Colwin Way has been using in his series of woodturning videos for Axminster's Skills At Home. Might treat myself, the recent new lathe and table-saw upgrade were necessities, not treats!

Disclaimer: I'm not a turner.

But I am interested in task lighting (for the bandsaw, drill press, etc.), so I have a related question to you good folks who have LED lights:

Lighting LEDs are commonly pulsed at fairly high frequency, in order to save power (although not all driver circuits do this, mostly the battery-powered ones). Has anybody had issues with, or even noticed, any strobing effects?

TIA, E.

Disclaimer: I'm not a turner.

But I am interested in task lighting (for the bandsaw, drill press, etc.), so I have a related question to you good folks who have LED lights:

Lighting LEDs are commonly pulsed at fairly high frequency, in order to save power (although not all driver circuits do this, mostly the battery-powered ones). Has anybody had issues with, or even noticed, any strobing effects?

TIA, E.
I have two 600mmx600mm panels and have not had any issues with flicker. They replaced and old style florescent strip light because the flicker from that was giving me headaches. Moden PC screens aren't as bad but I was forever tinkering with the refresh rate on old style monitors, again because the flicker from them used to induce really bad headaches.

This is the one Colwin Way has been using in his series of woodturning videos for Axminster's Skills At Home. Might treat myself, the recent new lathe and table-saw upgrade were necessities, not treats!
AT the show I purchased from, and subsequent shows quite a few of the Turners were using the GloForce not all, and you don't know how many were given them as a promotion but they all seemed very happy with them.

Also @Eric The Viking I've had no issues I have a couple LED strip lights in my Garage/workshop and they are a vast improvement over the old Fluorescent ones, I also move the GloForce around so have used with my sander, bandsaw, and on a desk for carving & Pyrography and have had no issues and personally would recommend it as it does everything i need - although these things are personal and this is just my opinion. HTH

Back