Lathe for a beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look on YouTube at the Warco 180, or 250….will give you an idea of size and price…
look at Ade’s Workshop

remember that the larger the lathe the heavier it is mine took 5 strong men to lift onto the base if you don;t have enough people to lift you will either need to buy or hire lifting equipment. If attached to a cabinet then some sort of moving skates if the workshop is easy to access

All these posts are accurate. Been looking for a Myford for a while but they are all turning into gold.

In the English line up I like Myford ML7 then Boxford then colchester. Colchester is simply a bad ass lathe.

Tooling has become a real problem. Prices are crazy right now. Four jaw chucks are going for silly money.

I like south bend lathes but I don’t know how popular they are in England.

many lathes don’t have quick change gear boxes. But many have the provision for change gears. If you get an oldie with no quick change bix make sure to get some change gears with it
Not so.
You should really become more informed !

Myford is a quality small lathe - overpriced
Boxford is a fair lathe, but you only get what you pay for.
Colchester - if in good nick- is the PICK
I have had Myford as a first lathe - soon reached it's limitations.
Had a Colchester Bantam - a great lathe' but a tad small for my needs.
Had a Harrison L5 - beautiful lathe, but a little slow.
Now have a Colchester Student square head - best one so far !

Hi
I have this ancient Faircut Senior set up in the garage but the bed is worn, It's very difficult to parallel turn on as when the gib strips are adjusted at the live end, The carriage won't back off (Wear is at the headstock end), If I adjust the gib strips at the dead end then there's chatter at the live end, It really needs stripping and trueing up but that would probably cost double the worth of the machine! :(
n73lKOy.jpg

I traded a woodworking lathe for this Granville Senior (And tooling), This one came from a school that closed down, The metalwork tutor was allowed to take a machine, He chose this one as it was the best that was there..
gzB7VJM.jpg

I also dropped on a Myford 7 in fabulous condition which is nice but the bore through the spindle is smaller than the Granville, I was going to use it to thread the muzzles of air rifles in 1/2" UNF for sound moderators but I think most would be to large on the dia to fit through the bore!, The Granville would take most barrels (y)
ULO1zRt.jpg

Both the Granville and Myford are 1950's machines with absolutely no wear yet the old Faircut is still setup as one of my sheds collapsed so all the stuff went in to the garage, I've since erected a larger shed- I filled the shed yet the garage is still full! 😳
I shall have to get stuck in to clearing the garage sometime (Next summer!) and get one of the better machines set up!

By the way, I ended up kinda collecting lathes without realising it!
Here's a couple more..

This one is a round bed Wade hobby machine..
sP5DrZs.jpg

A couple of little ones!

Top is Flexispeed 7

Bottom is Adept.
DNAbytj.jpg

This Unimat ML was the last one I bought, Never got around to setting it up though and probably never will!
gCpZEoP.jpg

8QMrIXh.jpg

John..

Back