Lathe extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill joiner

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which extraction position people find the best. I have two pipes running to my lathe but find I have to move them all the time. Does anyone have an adjustable position that works well? Be nice to see some examples.

As 90 % of my turning is concentrated within 300 mm of the chuck, (do little long spindle work) I have a large dust entraining hood fixed to the rear of the swivelling headstock which takes care of the majority of any dust, it is high air volume and noisy and I need to place a wire mesh grill over the port when working with pieces of less than 100mm diameter or abrasives else they risk ending up in the extractor bin or fan if I'm not careful.

DSCN5128.JPG
DSCN5129.JPG
DSCN5131.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5128.JPG
    DSCN5128.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 1,578
  • DSCN5129.JPG
    DSCN5129.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,578
  • DSCN5131.JPG
    DSCN5131.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 1,578
I have a 3 stage approach.

Stage 1 - roughing.
I have 2 X long roller blinds at right angles on the ceiling that I pull down to create a limited disaster zone when rough turning, esp wet bowl / hollow forms where there is limited dust but the shavings can go for miles.

Stage 2 - general turning
I use a power cap (most of the time :oops: ) and a dustpan and brush.

Stage 3 - finishing
I have a camvac DX that has a variable position hose like this:

056001_xl.jpg

I also have a home made general workshop air filter that to be honest does not get used much as I am only really in the workshop for short periods but probably could do more for me.

S

I Stuck a metal disk to the tool rest arm:-

Attached a magnet to the a modified extraction hose

et voila

For bigger bowls the hose magnet will hold directly on the lathe bed.

Seems to provide a fair amount of flexibility and there is nothing more pleasing than seeing a nice plume of dust being sucked up into the hose. On the other end BTW is a twin motor Camvac which is housed outside and above the workshop which itself is inside a barn so no problems with the noise.

I think Chas has the right position which I've been experimenting with today. I could also have the same faunal underneath which would help I think. But would also catch things which I drop........ Wire mesh.
Magnet idea is interesting. And I like the roller blind idea.

Keep them coming.

I use one of the Axminster big mouth dust hoods and mount that on an adjustable stand, also sold by Axminster. I can easily move it out of the way when not in use and put it where needed when sanding.

Back