Lathe drives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When turning between centres i use a dead centre in the headstock and a live centre in the tailstock any bad catches tend to stop the workpiece

Depending on how your lathe drive is set up, could you leave the drive belt a little slacker than normal? Presumably he will be supervised to start with so you can reach for the stop button.

I plan on starting my 12yr old grandson on the lathe but would to know if there is a drive which would stop the workpiece spinning if he got a catch.
Yes there is. I use the Axminster Ring Centres for most of my spindle work. For the 2mt size the catalogue reference is 718166 @ £39.98 and the 1mt size is catalogue reference 718165 @ £39.98. They do work very well if you get a catch. The outer ring diameter is 10mm. If you reference the Axminster web site just put in the catalogue number and the information comes up.

Depending on how your lathe drive is set up, could you leave the drive belt a little slacker than normal? Presumably he will be supervised to start with so you can reach for the stop button.
Yes I ran lathes in a secondary school workshop and this was our stated policy along with 1:1 supervision. Despite what is printed in the trashy newspapers the Xbox generation do have a sense of self preservation and learn quickly given the opportunity.

Yes I ran lathes in a secondary school workshop and this was our stated policy along with 1:1 supervision. Despite what is printed in the trashy newspapers the Xbox generation do have a sense of self preservation and learn quickly given the opportunity.
I’d say they learn far faster, due to the access to information that didn’t exist 30-years ago, but that’s an unpopular opinion…

I’d say they learn far faster, due to the access to information that didn’t exist 30-years ago, but that’s an unpopular opinion…
Maybe butter manual skills you can’t beat 1:1 with some one who knows what they are about. Maybe that’s an unpopular opinion too!
We were very fortunate to have an old guy who just came to work to keep his brain active, Turner by trade 50+ years in engineering his enthusiasm and attention to detail were infectious. One lad who came for a taster day from another school went home and bought a lathe
We had lasers and cnc but there remained a great respect for manual skills and craftsmanship

Problem with a ring centre is that it takes a light touch with the tool. A beginner might not have that. I’d go for a stebcentre every time.

Whenever I show someone to turn including some of the great grand children I always use the standard drive centres. They have even had the odd catch but this taught them to be a little more gentle and none of the work has come off the lathe. They were not put off by this and still come around to have a turn now and again.
How did people learn before all these steb centres and the like

Whenever I show someone to turn including some of the great grand children I always use the standard drive centres. They have even had the odd catch but this taught them to be a little more gentle and none of the work has come off the lathe. They were not put off by this and still come around to have a turn now and again.
How did people learn before all these steb centres and the like
1-With a pole lathe, has the advantage that when you hurt yourself the power shuts off.
2-They had accidents and frequently got injured

Back