Lathe cleanup advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you have to accept that turning generates a lot of waste and be prepared to clean up afterwards, just try and make the area as easy as possible to sweep up. You could try and capture the shavings but you'll need a HVLP type extractor, that numatic will fill its bag in minutes. The only time I use dust extraction is for sanding, the numatic will be fine fir that, but I do wear a mask all the time I'm at the lathe.

I think you have to accept that turning generates a lot of waste and be prepared to clean up afterwards, just try and make the area as easy as possible to sweep up. You could try and capture the shavings but you'll need a HVLP type extractor, that numatic will fill its bag in minutes. The only time I use dust extraction is for sanding, the numatic will be fine fir that, but I do wear a mask all the time I'm at the lathe.
The numatic is bagless and has a fair capacity, I'm not worried about the wood chips and shavings, just want to keep the dust covering everything in the garage to a minimum, and as you say, dust masks are a must, I have a few balaclavas with built in filter that I used to use under my bike helmet they should work well and are washable.

Threw a block of pallet wood on and set to it with absolutely no idea what I was doing, the whole thing rattled and bounced around so I need to find a way to either bolt it down to the floor or increase the weight and rigidity of the stand. 100% need to sort dust extraction, I knew there would be dust but was not ready for so much of it, also need to make more space.

I'm not sure if I wanna show the finished item as it's pretty rubbish, the tools need sharpening, the roughing gouge did a good job but the bowl gouge and skew just didn't want to cut.

The face plate kept coming loose, anyone had this/know how to stop it?
I think the stand itself is the problem as there is no cross bracing on it. I notice a bolt hole on the top of the stand leg and I think it would have had two top rails. It just looks unstable as it is and really its the lathe thats supporting it. That and blunt tools would account for the faceplate shaking loose. Sharp tools are a must and as Dalboy said find a turning club and get the basics of woodturning. It's very enjoyable when things are working right but there are some learning curves getting there.
Regards
John

I think the stand itself is the problem as there is no cross bracing on it. I notice a bolt hole on the top of the stand leg and I think it would have had two top rails. It just looks unstable as it is and really its the lathe thats supporting it. That and blunt tools would account for the faceplate shaking loose. Sharp tools are a must and as Dalboy said find a turning club and get the basics of woodturning. It's very enjoyable when things are working right but there are some learning curves getting there.
Regards
John
The stand was made by the previous owner from scrap he had laying around, im going to add to it to make it more rigid. There is a local club that luckily for me uses a community centre 5 minutes walk from me so am looking to join them.

So having managed to clean up the garage after the dust bath created by my first turning, dust collection is my next task along with sorting a sharpening system.

Dust collection, I have a machine at work that hasn't been used in years, its a Numatic meant for wet clean up but I figure it should do the job

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Sharpening,
As my budget is pretty tight and there are a lot of things I want/need for my planned wood turnings I'm looking at the Screwfix Titan bench grinder as it has pretty good reviews and will be useful for other projects and jobs too.

In the meantime I need to make space in the garage so I can position and set up the vacuum, bench grinder as well as my scroll saw and band saw.

For "cheap" dust extraction I used a Lidl's vac and set it up with a cheap Cyclone setup from Ebay using a bin to collect in to. You've probably seen the setup... feed from machine/tool goes in to the cyclone unit which is mounted on top of the "bin". Wood shavings/dust collects in that while the air drawn through by the vac exits from another side exit on the cyclone unit to the vac unit. Only fine dust gets through.

As for the bench grinder - have you checked the Screwfix reviews from *Low* to High rating or just started with the "high" 5 star ones? One thing I've found out today is that it's nigh on *impossible* to get spare parts. I need a riving knife for the Titan table saw (TTB763TAS), contacted Kingfisher - the supposed and *stated* manufacturer - only to be told by "their support" section to go to Screwfix... who are only a distributor. What I'm saying is be wary.

For "cheap" dust extraction I used a Lidl's vac and set it up with a cheap Cyclone setup from Ebay using a bin to collect in to. You've probably seen the setup... feed from machine/tool goes in to the cyclone unit which is mounted on top of the "bin". Wood shavings/dust collects in that while the air drawn through by the vac exits from another side exit on the cyclone unit to the vac unit. Only fine dust gets through.

As for the bench grinder - have you checked the Screwfix reviews from *Low* to High rating or just started with the "high" 5 star ones? One thing I've found out today is that it's nigh on *impossible* to get spare parts. I need a riving knife for the Titan table saw (TTB763TAS), contacted Kingfisher - the supposed and *stated* manufacturer - only to be told by "their support" section to go to Screwfix... who are only a distributor. What I'm saying is be wary.
I've seen a few YouTube videos building dust extractors/separators, I'll probably look into that when I have more space.

I've seen a few YouTube videos building dust extractors/separators, I'll probably look into that when I have more space.

Not aware of space you have although "small". My "workshop" area is 11ft x 7ft, has the table saw mentioned above, a lathe on a 4ft by 1ft stand, a 6ft by 28" workbench with a lift-up/drop down flap addition (5ft x 1ft x 1" MRMDF) attached. "Free" space between lathe and bench is very limited. Got scrap timber in two corners. The other corners have the table saw and the dust extraction... about 18" -maybe 21"? - square for that bit of kit. Bin and cyclone unit stacked above the vac. I've another space for wood and other storage that isn't workspace available. If space is limited look towards "stackability" options. Good luck on your choices 👍

Not aware of space you have although "small". My "workshop" area is 11ft x 7ft, has the table saw mentioned above, a lathe on a 4ft by 1ft stand, a 6ft by 28" workbench with a lift-up/drop down flap addition (5ft x 1ft x 1" MRMDF) attached. "Free" space between lathe and bench is very limited. Got scrap timber in two corners. The other corners have the table saw and the dust extraction... about 18" -maybe 21"? - square for that bit of kit. Bin and cyclone unit stacked above the vac. I've another space for wood and other storage that isn't workspace available. If space is limited look towards "stackability" options. Good luck on your choices 👍
Wow that's a lot 😳 I'm starting to watch YouTube vids of small shop setups to get some space saving ideas.

Wow that's a lot 😳 I'm starting to watch YouTube vids of small shop setups to get some space saving ideas.
I first set the space up for turning - I made Falconry blocks & perches... and other odd wood projects. Lathe, bench, grinder/sharpener and a drill stand - not pillar drill. 30 years ago.
Now coming back to Woodwork and, like you, watching lots on YouTube for ideas on space saving. I'm taken by the bench units which swivel so machines can be swivelled under when not needed or in use. That's my aim for the lathe, Triton thicknesser and possibly a mitre saw. Router table at the side of the saw table. All combined as movable separate units joined as a bench unit on castors so I can put it in the middle of the shop or push to left or right as needed. Lots of ideas.

Sorry for the rambling 😉😂

I first set the space up for turning - I made Falconry blocks & perches... and other odd wood projects. Lathe, bench, grinder/sharpener and a drill stand - not pillar drill. 30 years ago.
Now coming back to Woodwork and, like you, watching lots on YouTube for ideas on space saving. I'm taken by the bench units which swivel so machines can be swivelled under when not needed or in use. That's my aim for the lathe, Triton thicknesser and possibly a mitre saw. Router table at the side of the saw table. All combined as movable separate units joined as a bench unit on castors so I can put it in the middle of the shop or push to left or right as needed. Lots of ideas.

Sorry for the rambling 😉😂
No apologies required, I saw a yt video a while back where the top was on a swivel and had bandsaw and scroll saw attached, it was quite impressive, the bandsaw is on top and the scrollsaw upside-down beneath almost bolted together with a piece of ply between them, when you want swap you release a catch that allows you to turn on a horizontal axis, putting the scrollsaw on top and the bandsaw beneath. (I think that makes sense)

So now that I have my lathe up and running and have dulled my tools to an unusable state I'm about to buy a bench grinder, originally I had decided on the triton bench grinder from screwfix as it is less than £50 but the more I think and read on the subject I've realised it won't be best option, so I've doubled my budget to around £100 and have narrowed it down to 2 machines, either the Axminster Craft AC200WSG or the Record Power 8" bench grinder, both have a 40mm wide wheel, both come with the same wheels, in fact the only real difference I can see is the colour, branding and £5 difference in price. Does anyone have any reason I should chose one over the other?

Haven't done the comparison, might depend on stock availability and carriage. I got an Axminster Bandsaw earlier this year. It had a problem with blade guide alignment and customer service was superb, sent me a new part no argument or delay. Sways me towards them. Record might be fine of course, I've no experience of their service.

I've got the RP one. I'm happy with it, runs smooth, seems well enough made for the money. The grinder ancillaries are plastic and basic, you going to have to buy or make your own jigs, unless you plan to sharpen free hand.

The numatic is bagless and has a fair capacity, I'm not worried about the wood chips and shavings, just want to keep the dust covering everything in the garage to a minimum, and as you say, dust masks are a must, I have a few balaclavas with built in filter that I used to use under my bike helmet they should work well and are washable.
I use a triton DCA300 dust collection bucket, works well and hardly ever have to change the fine filter in the henry hoover (like once a year!).

The bearings are sealed for life, unless the headstock spindle has noticeable movement leave it alone for now.
On an aesthetic front even if the original stand was black (and if its a bit minor rusty go for red oxide spray can paint as a quick way of sorting that) go for a brighter finish colour a Record Power green or blue or something a bit bolder (yellow? - some of the Perform and Axminster lathes were yellow or white) doesn't have to be boring black.
Wax is good for keeping the bed bar action fluid and running the banjo up and down a few times helps rub off any remaining residual rush high spots. enjoy the lathe I had one as a first lathe years ago.

So today I ordered the Axminster bench grinder, I decided on this one over the Record Power because looking through the reviews for both, the Axminster is built with slightly better materials and with the discounts I was given it ended up at £94. I've also ordered record power SC3 chuck package from Yandles for £119.99. I should have them both by the weekend 🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉

Well, I'm absolutely amazed with Axminster, ordered my bench grinder yesterday at 14.30 and it has just arrived 🎊🎉🎊🎉 can't wait to get it set up, now I need to get a jig made up so I can sharpen my bowl gouge.

Latest posts

Back