Lathe Chucks...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,
Being a bit of a spoiled brat i went straight onto a supernova chuck with my first lathe and now i've taken it with me as the lathe grew up.. but my father in law wants a 'scroll' chuck. Does anyone use the Record RP3000? and is it a 'scroll' type chuck - do the jaws all move at the same time i mean? he can't afford the supernova, or the RP4000, but i can't find a decent description of how the RP3000 works - Failing that does anyone have the Charnwood chucking system - the tiny picture on their website looks very similar to the RP3000 but there's no descripton of it as such...

many thanks

jim

Evening, Jim,

Multistar might be worth a look at. I use a Multistar Titan and it's fine, with a good range of jaws and accessories.

Multistar went out of business a while ago, after I got mine, but they are now manufacturing again and all seems well with them. Search on Multistar will turn up their website.

Axminster PTC also do a range of chucks with a wide choice of jaws and accessories - I haven't tried them but they look okay.

Both companies may have a scroll chuck within the budget you have indicated. As with everything, generally the better the quality you can buy the better the performance - particularly with a chuck which obviously must hold true and run true. :wink:

Regards, Trev.

hi jim
I have a record 3000 chuck its not a scroll chuck its a collet type they are ok if you are very accurate with your dovetails. there is to much overhang, ie distance between work piece and front bearings for heavy cuts and they only come with 3/4 16 tpi spare jaws are cheap from little sheffield. have a look at ebay for chucks

may the shavings be with you.

barryb

Latest posts

Back