• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Lathe Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I am totally new to wood turning and as such have purchased Produktdetails

I am looking for a chuck that will fit it.
Not sure what type I would need but hope to make bowls and boxes and the odd goblet here and there.

Thank you

Gary

With a drive centre and faceplate you can do a fait bit, Spindle work certainly.
Not sure how long wood turning chucks have been commonplace, not forever so there are ways to make things without one. Google for turn a bowl without a chuck or turn a lidded box without a chuck.

Long term you will want one, but as Phil says 18mm is unusual. Meantime why not turn a few things before spending extra ££ then you get an idea of what you really need and get to appreciate your machine's characteristics. All machines have some limits, no point thinking about a big hefty chuck if the lathe bearings aren't up to it or big long bowl gouges if the motor doesn't have the power for fast cutting.

Not trying to put you off, maybe build up gradually so you don't spend on things you don't need straight away.

Nova sell a blank insert you can have machined to whatever you need. That way you can move it to your new lathe when you upgrade!

I would do without a chuck on this lathe. If you like turning you will instantly out grow it. It isn't worth spending time and money getting a chuck for even if you can keep it for a future lathe.

To be blunt, I would take the lathe back and use the money towards an alternative. You may well get something on the secondhand market for not a lot with some tools, grinder and chuck included.

I’m not sure I’d want to turn much on a lathe with ally bed. Wouldn’t want to try anything unbalanced! Honestly, that will put you off turning anything other than dolls house items.

Have a look half way down the page you will see below, contact them for more info.

M18.JPG

That's why I said "contact them for more info", M18 is M18 that should not change must be the chuck itself that's different

Thank you all very much for your wonderful replies it has certainly opened my eyes a little into some of the complexities involved in wood turning. I have decided to return the lathe to Lidl and start a hunt for one from elsewhere (probably second hand)

I have just had an offer accepted on Ebay for an Axminster MC1018, it includes a chuck and 3 chisels. Paid £125
Great news.

I have just had a look at the spec and it seems very similar to my jet mini. 1"x8 and 2mt. You will have no issues getting extras for that if you need them. If and when you move it on you won't lose anything much on it.

There is a manual online from axi if you google Axminster mc1018.

Back