lathe choice Charnwood vs Record.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbey

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new benchtop lathe and am down to two possibles.
Charnwood W 824 vs, Record DWL320.

These, from the specs, seem to have similar capabilities; the major difference is price.
£400 for the Charnwood and £600 for the Record.
Also the Record weighs in at 52Kg against 32Kg for the Charnwood indicating a bigger casting although the foot print is similar.
The lathe will be for small bowl work, spindle turning and pens.

I would welcome any experienced comments.

Not the experienced voice you're looking for, but the Charnwood looks to be the same as this
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... the-105119
and Axminster have a decent/ good reputation for service.
But - one thing my limited experience has taught me is that weight is important for countering vibration - I'm sure there are lots of other things to say about vibration, but that's another chapter.
Anyway, that might get the ball rolling?!

I'd get the Axminster I saw it at the High Wycombe branch yesterday and it was very good quality. It is quite heavy too. I am looking to downsize from a Union Graduate as I have a small shed and looked at the 305 because it offered variable speed at a decent price.

The 305 is £329, the 355 (a slightly larger model) is £499 but has a higher weight of 57kg, a good m33 x 3.5mm spindle size and can reverse direction which helps with sanding. I'd say theres not much beyond them unless you head to either an older lathe or spend roughly double.

Actually all their lathes were great quality, I've seen some Charnwood ones and those look good too but the Axminster accessories and the service I've received in the past are worth something.

That was my initial conclusion so I bought the Axminster 305.

It packed up in less than an hour, and also had structural faults-the motor was out of true.
I returned it and Axminster were fine in providing a refund, but once bitten???
So, it really is a search for an alternative.

I've only recently bought the 320 as an upgrade to my 30yr old draper. Very very happy with it. Variable speed, reverse and is solidly built. Packs plenty of weight too but my lathe bench is a 10" x 6" block of timber bolted onto 2 electricity poles bedded in concrete. I also got the bed extension for the 320 when I bought it. I'd highly recommend the Record 320.

I wonder what weight would need a full concrete plinth?
Anyway, I don't think yours is likely to move!

The 320 impresses me with it's weight, clearly the casting is substantial - as needed.
The 5 year guarantee leaves the Charnwoood's one year behind and the motor is more powerfull.

I suspect I'll find the extra for the 320.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back