Lathe Bearing replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
A friend has a Naerok WL-12037 lathe that needs new bearings. This is the same as the Clark CWL12D.
My understanding is that to do this all we do is hit the bearing with a good lump if wood and the bearing will obligingly come out. We then look at the reference number on the bearing and we order these from
Simply Bearings or similar, then knock this in and we're in business.

What's actually happening is we have hit the spindle with a copper hammer and the bearing now feels rough and only a small amount of movement seems to happen. Please can anyone here, who's done this job give any advice on if what we're doing is right and normal?

Does anyone here know about this lathe and the bearing needed?

Silly question first - are you sure you have removed all the fastenings, circlips, etc, so that the bearing is actually free to move? Worth checking against a parts diagram.

You've possibly whacked the inner race and not the outer. Sometimes there isn't much space to get to the outer race, and that's what you need to move. I actually filed a small groove in the headstock casting of my lathe so if I ever had to do them again I could get a small drift in easier.

Thank you for your info and comments. Having now done a it more searching, I think there are some circlips in the headstock that need some exploration.

I'll look into it further.

Back