Lathe based router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok hard hat on and ready for the oh my God brigade.
My Coronet Major is still keeping me occupied, I have finished the adaption of a minor front turning rest to suit the Major and wondered what to sort out next. Having a 1hp motor would make it a powerful router compared to a hand held Job although it would mean working at 90 deg to normal. so before I start constructing a router table to suit (which will have to be moveable as router will be fixed) I wonder what problems you all forsee, obviously limited in the length I can machine vertically. Anyone done it. Any really good reason why I should not do it.
It would I presume be considered safer than using the spindle moulder that came with it along with a complete set of cutters.

i cant help thinking it might be a bit slow (rpm wise) what speeds can you get from your Major?

adidat

I had a Shopsmith that would go up to 6500rpm or thereabout, and that was nowhere near fast enough for a clean cut with any router cutter - your lathe probably only has half that. Maybe find a way of doing something small and easy first, to see if it actually works, before investing too much time or money in it.

a good cut is achieved with a fast shearing motion something like 22K rpm for a smaller bit.

adidat

good thinking everyone, never gave speed a thought. Will lash up something and see what happens before going too far but fear you are correct and it will be a no go. I assumed if fast enough for the moulding spindle then smaller dia cutters would be fine. So something simple and safe needed for a trial.

max speed is 4000 rpm and the Coronet manual shows lots of processes carried out with a router bit so assume it must work to a point.

Back